Cheque book restos and lack of knowledge/research

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

miles

Re: Cheque book restos and lack of knowledge/research

Post by miles » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:Trouble with a Bentley is it doesn't come with words of comfort, off topic advice and the general camaraderie that you get on here.

I've learnt so much from many people on here (mainly Graham) and enjoyed every minute of it. I do try and do research before asking inane questions, but sometimes a quick post gets the answer I need and it's always nice to have a natter.

As for cheque books - yes I've spent a load on my bus, but also spent many many long hours in a freezing garage until midnight getting my hands dirty.

And always happy to give a bit of advice back when I can, to those who were in the same position as me 3 years ago. Some of it's bobbins, but there's always a better informed kind soul to put people on the right track.
Well said :)
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

Max Last
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Max Last » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Very true, but how big would the sticker need to be?! The Bentley helped but it was mainly Banger who guided me through my top end rebuild, not something I`d have considered attempting without either nearby!
Bothering the blinkered since 1969.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm

My rule is " Pass it forwards"
Lots of people have helped me....So I am still in debt...
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 pm

I'm all for helping people , its just the questions that the answers to be found are In a manual or easy to find on the internet that to me come across as just lazy people
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:09 pm

...maybe...or honestly wanting genuine help or guidance and help..
Not necessarily lazy.....
1965 Type21f

wejjy

Cheque book restos and lack of knowledge/research

Post by wejjy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm

type21f wrote:...maybe...or honestly wanting genuine help or guidance and help..
Agreed ^^^

My feelings are that a lot of people use the net to do what they previously used a book to do, and therefore go straight to the community to ask the question, sometimes without searching first, which doesn't bother me unduly.

Whichever way it happens, my motto is 'each to their own', diversity is always a good thing ;)
Last edited by wejjy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stock is good, its just that low and fast is better!!

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Those who want to help can do so, those who don't can just not read the thread ?!

Magic8Ball
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Magic8Ball » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:41 pm

wejjy wrote:
type21f wrote:...maybe...or honestly wanting genuine help or guidance and help..
Agreed ^^^

My feelings are that a lot of people use the net to do what they previously used a book to do, and therefore go straight to the community to ask the question, sometimes without searching first, which doesn't bother me unduly.

Whichever way it happens, my motto is 'each to their own', diversity is always a good thing ;)
Can you blame them ? How many times have you been unsure after checking the net/reading a manual ? You ask different people including the ' experts ' only to end up with 10 different ways to do the job. Don't get me started on setting hydraulic tappets 8O

No, I'm with some of these scene people....if your clueless, take it to the expert and if he f@3k5 it then you can sling it back at him. After all it is a 5h1tty old camper, right ? and one day it will end up back in the arms of a loving new owner who will be an active club member offering untold advice and only too willing to tell you how he got it for a song because the previous owner stopped loving the ' scene ' :wink: Time to help everyone me thinks :?: :wink:

One of my more recent surveys I carried out drew me to the conclusion that a lot of people here on the SSVC don't actually own a Splitscreen so probably best not to ask on here for advice :wink:
Magic8Ball says - ask me a question
Genuine Oil Dripper
- SSC&FATTC Member
Rides
AIR COOLED - 59 Kombi, 60 KG, 61 BUG, Chateau Mobile Trailer Tent.
WATER COOLED - 2016 Golf 1.0 Full Bluemotion with 7Speed DSG - Reflex Silver

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:18 pm

.....yes but there are some very nice non owners or wannabees who are stealth readers who do eventually take the plunge and become owners and we all know that learning by doing is best...
"I do I remember....."

I do what I can but I work more than 50 hours a week for myself and I am happy to pay those with the skills to do my resto for me...
I am happy because I strip apart remove and prepare..and install some interior etc..

Oh no not more underseal scraping.....

So I may fall into the aforementioned category but I am involved...
If I have done it then I am happy to do it and to help others...
I am a petrol head...Once active doing.. I used to manage building cars... bodies and hinges and latches and pressings and pumps and gearboxes and engines...and plating and EP and paint..
I did weld and assemble and build things but not anymore..
I procure, I source, I research and I project manage for work and pleasure..

So maybe I have a little technical knowledge...

Let those that can afford to pay others to do it...do so..
I also believe in passing forwards what help I can give ...Lots have helped me....
G
Oh and my bolt and screw modern equivalents knowledge is a measure of how OCD...I am..
Agree..things are out there you just need to get off your A*** to find them...

I enjoy that...
Last edited by type21f on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f

White Van Man

Post by White Van Man » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm on a bus forum on Faceache (not Splitscreen I hasten to add).
Questions,
Gertie won't start , why ? wtf is Gertie
How do I remove my hubcaps (no really)
How does this exhaust fit (oe replacement) and where do the gaskets (with pictures ) go.

I could continue, I do not comment, no point really.Everyone seems hung up on the internet having the answer.How about learning and diving in, maybe buy a quality manual as suggested above.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:47 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:Trouble with a Bentley is it doesn't come with words of comfort, off topic advice and the general camaraderie that you get on here.
The problem with the 'buy a Bentley' mantra is that half of the (very expensive) book is bugger-all use if you have a big nut transmission and '70s engine in a pre-64 truck (guess how I know).

The Muir book and the FAQs on The Samba have been way more useful (and I got the Muir for under a fiver and The Samba FAQs are free).

I sometimes wonder if some in the VW 'scene' have shares in Bentley ...

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Why do people buy Bently manuals when they drive a VW......perhaps that's where they are going wrong. :oops: :oops:
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

55bdkombi

Post by 55bdkombi » Wed May 04, 2016 12:24 pm

First thing first, I need one of those stickers? Pm me info as I want one :D

Secondly, I have asked some fairly dumb questions on Facebook but I find its the quickest way to get a response when your sat in the garage wondering what you did to deserve the third part in a row that doesn't fit!

And Thirdly, the biggest issue I find with checkbook builds is that no one makes their own mind ups to what will be best for them, for the van and for their wallet.
Everyone seems to end up with the same narrowed beam with discs, the same IRS conversion, the same naf chrome bumpers, deluxe trim on a bland 11w, stainless badge, fuchs etc etc
Meanwhile they are sitting at home dreaming of holidays to Cornwall, not having a clue what they just paid 30k for while the garage is bolting crap that won't ever fit properly to a van that looks identical to the last 15 they churned out and sitting on a nice stash of og parts that are better than what they will receive that will probably end up on a table at Slough swap meet, or worse, scrapped.
http://www.barnwest.com/

54 barndoor singlecab
67 fastback 1600tl

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Wed May 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Having worked in the industry with my business VW Endangered Species, and worked for someone before I set up shop, I believe and know what your talking about.
Me, I'm a stock man, stock to me is the purist thing, it's what it is, the bus at birth.
I'm not knocking what the others do but I get where your coming from, it's a bling thing, follow the sheep, newbies to the scene maybe, jump in with very little knowledge of the mark and allow themselves to be talked into something they didn't know they wanted or needed.
I've seen very good standard busses turned into a deluxe for no other reason than...." I liked the look. "
I have driven vans that bang down the road, don't steer, don't stop even but go like stink.......
As for repro bits well don't get me started, to my customers, I'd try to talk them into spending the money on NOS parts, I gave
them the option, explained the pros and cons and to be fair most took my advice and were very happy to do so, I also know repro can be chipped up to top price as the mark up is good for the seller, with NOS, quality is not a problem, it's a no brainier to me as its still out there of your prepared to look.
I did about 8 years restoring buses and all my customers went away happy, a bit lighter in the pocket but happy, I've had no come backs, no bad feeling, if I messed up, I paid to put it right out of my own pocket.
I've just this week closed the doors to the shop as its time to retire, it's done..
The scene has grown behond what most believed it could or even gave it any thought it would, but it has, just be happy in doing what you want to do because as I used to say, the cream will allways come to the top........
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Wed May 04, 2016 2:34 pm

RIP VW Endangered Species....will take a while but we Will miss you!..
Not the Zimmer though!
G
1965 Type21f