DVLA

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

DVLA

Post by andy f » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Just had my third application to register my bus turned down....So, so P'd off with them.

So my first application was turned down on the grounds that the bus wasn't on NOVA ( fair enough it was brought in pre 2013 when the systems changed ) and lack of Proof of Year evidence. Now I thought maybe I had just forgotten to include the VW Historic club proof that the importer had given me.

So attempt 2, had been in touch with Nova sent them my C&E389 form, had them returned with a pre Apr 2013 stamp. Made sure that the Vehicle year proof from the Volkswagen Owners club saying it was a 61 as in there, got to be a winner I thought.....Nope got rejected because the proof of age from the VW Owners club did not state how the Owners club had arrived at that decision eg, visual identification, photos etc.

Ok so I was a bit peeved at that, got in touch with the VW owners club and explained that the document that I had ( from them given to the importer and then to me ) didn't include how the date was decided etc. Got told that I would need to join the club and then send them pics etc and they will send one with all the info the DVLA needed. Bit miffed because I already had proof from them so now I have to join to get it updated ! But OK, if it means I get it registered.

So....Got the new proof though, didn't take anything out of the envelope the DVLA returned to me just added the new proof of age and AGAIN paid for signed for - tracked delivery.

At this point I am thinking I'm onto a winner. Clare phoned me up at work this arvo.... "Sorry babe, you are gonna be so P'd off" yep they have rejected it for the third time. Saying there is no proof of date !!!!! They even stapled the proof of age along with the other bits to their rejection !!!! Seriously What the F*** and now they have included one other thing that the never mentioned previously asking about export docs .

What a bunch of complete f'in idiots!

Andy

Magic8Ball
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: DVLA

Post by Magic8Ball » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Andy, are you not able to deal with one person at DVLA by phone ? Get the name off the rejection letter and ask exactly what they require ? Seems to me the only thing missing is the manufacture date ?

From the chassis number you should be able to narrow it right down to the month/year ? Further, the m code may tell you more, using the m code decoder on the SSVC ?

What you have to get to grips with is the fact that there are now no Local Vehicle Licensing Offices, it was all centralised at DVLA. Can you imagine all the applications that pass through that particular division now ? To cope with the demand they have bought in people not really au fait with all this, as a result hundreds like you end up going mad !

Try to find the time to ring the person rejecting the application, if you feel that your still not getting your application properly addressed escalate to someone higher. It won't be long and your application will proceed, they don't have time for aggro !

Good Luck and keep us posted as to how the numb nuts at DVLA resolve this :?

Above all, KEEP CALM and keep it stock !
Magic8Ball says - ask me a question
Genuine Oil Dripper
- SSC&FATTC Member
Rides
AIR COOLED - 59 Kombi, 60 KG, 61 BUG, Chateau Mobile Trailer Tent.
WATER COOLED - 2016 Golf 1.0 Full Bluemotion with 7Speed DSG - Reflex Silver

Topic Author
andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by andy f » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Hey Magic, all good advice, I didn't post up until I heard back from them.............Yeah got my V5, very happy and I obviously love the DVLA now ;)

So I tried phoning them when I got home from work, probably best I couldn't get through and we were in a rush to go out so I contacted them the next day.

Went through to the helpline and explained the situation, to be fair I did get put though to a very helpful ( and calming ) help lady who explained to me where I was going wrong. It appears that I wasn't enclosing a covering letter explaining whey there was no country of origin registration docs. However the really annoying thing was I asked why they kept asking me for proof of age when I had already sent. And the answer I got " Oh that's just because it is the letter template we use " !!!

Ok so I can laugh about it now but as Magic says you could get a different person each time you send in an application and there doesn't seem to be any continuity in the process/ system. I know some people can just send in a print out of thesamba.com and have no issues with the proof of age and I had to pay to join the Historic VW club to get a document which I already had off them but this time it said that they had done the date from photos etc of the chassis number. All very frustrating .

So my advice if you get your application rejected is pretty much what magic suggests. phone up, speak to their helpline, they will pull up your application on their screen and talk you through exactly what they want ;)

Andy

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BusBug&KG » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 pm

That bloke Magic,is actually MAGIC!!!
Tony C
Wouldn't want him as an enemy he knows too much.

Max Last
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Max Last » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 pm

As it says, ask the magic 8 ball a question! The answer will follow! Is there a definitive list of wise sayings/answers? Like confuscious for the modern world?! Perhaps fortune cookies could be made available!
Bothering the blinkered since 1969.

Topic Author
andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by andy f » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 am

BusBug&KG wrote:That bloke Magic,is actually MAGIC!!!
Tony C
Generally or specifically about you Tony ? :D

Andy

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BusBug&KG » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 pm

andy f wrote:
Tony C

Andy
Specifically me,but generally both
Tony C

Topic Author
andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by andy f » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Just to add a bit to this. I was thinking all the docs I sent the DVLA should be back soon. And in todays post , along with the Club mag being delivered was an envelope from the DVLA were all my docs..... Great news.
There was also another envelope from the DVLA, opened it up and what was in there........Another V5!!!

Thankfully with the same reg number, best I give them a call during the week.

Andy

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 am

Hello all you lovely lovely helpfull people on the ssvc

I am about to embark on this DVLA / NOVA journey.

today i registered on the HMRC site so I can use the NOVA system - my van came into the UK about 2009

before I go hopiong from place to place can you tell me a list of info I'll need to complete the forms and where to get the info from

I.E
date of manufactuer - will a photograph of VIN and a print out of the samba page (and / or) a photo of mplate and a print out of mplate decoder be enough or does it need to have some sort of club certificate ?

I have got an MOT

not currently insured but I am working on that.

all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason
he who sins grins

Topic Author
andy f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by andy f » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 am

Hey Jason. I found it seems to depend on who receives your paperwork!
Some people on here just enclosed pics of their bus including the vinand a print out of the Samba.com page where it lists vin by year and had no probs. I had to provide proof of year from the Historic VW owners club ( but I believe and proof of age from the SSVC will also work ).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... istrations

Good luck

Andy

Magic8Ball
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Magic8Ball » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Jayvanman, your lucky day, The Magic8ball has seen your question. Firstly 2009 is pre nova so you don't have to register via this system legally. NOVA came into effect early 2014.

All you really need is confirmation of the Bus details ie year if manufacture, what it is etc. Speak with Steve Saunders of the SSVC van register and if your a member you can obtain a letter of vehicle details from the SSVC which is recognised by the DVLA. You then need to fill out the form that DVLA supply (can take up to ten days to get to you ) you can order the forms online.

If you actually read the forms and the guidance notes it's usually quite straight forward. That said if you don't enclose all the documents it can be quite protracted. Obviously if your vehicle is post 60 you will need a MOT.you won't be able to do anything without a MOT on the chassis number.

I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this thread, remember Magic8Ball is keen to see bureaucracy eradicated so we can all enjoy our splits...ta ra
Genuine Oil Dripper
- SSC&FATTC Member
Rides

Magic8Ball
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Magic8Ball » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:36 pm

andy f wrote:
Tony C

Andy
I like to learn something new every day, I'm keen to learn more about stone, over to you Tony :wink: If I can learn a new trick every day then I won't have to ask anyone, although I do know that you Tony would be only too willing to help, keep in touch :wink:
Genuine Oil Dripper
- SSC&FATTC Member
Rides

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BusBug&KG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:37 pm

Always here for you,when I can Geoffrey

bushi
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by bushi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 am

Sent you a PM Magic8Ball :)
Magic8Ball wrote:
andy f wrote:
Tony C

Andy
I like to learn something new every day, I'm keen to learn more about stone, over to you Tony :wink: If I can learn a new trick every day then I won't have to ask anyone, although I do know that you Tony would be only too willing to help, keep in touch :wink:

1959bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 1959bus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi all,

Bit of a thread resurrection I know but a word of warning to anyone with a pre 1960 bus that they are trying to register........ the DVLA are out to make your life interesting!

I applied and sent in proof of age from the Historic VW club and waited...... and waited. Hearing nothing after probably three weeks, I phoned only to be told that they needed a vehicle inspection. My bus is mid-resto but I thought, 'as long as they can see the number and ID it, no worries'. Unfortunately this is not what happened. They inspected it, I waited another 6/8 weeks and still heard nothing. I phoned again and it turned out they had not actioned the info in the report.

They then rejected my application saying that as the vehicle is incomplete and not fit for road use, so they are unable to register it. On top of that, they have also said that I need to complete the V627/1 Built Up Vehicle report which puts me into the 'finding serial numbers and proving it shouldnt be on a Q plate' fun and games. If I'd gone Red 9, I would be on Q plates for sure. Although I still dont need an MOT.

Not sure if anyone else has dealt with this but. Christ-on-a bike they are usless.

Rant over!

Jon