why ??

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

why ??

Post by maddison » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:25 pm

so, the trend seems to be for folks to spend a lot of money on drop spindles, beam adjusters etc...find it rubs, then fitting coilovers or airdampers to lift it back up a bit
why not just fit the old red 9 ez-coilover kit in the first place ????

(this includes me......WHY ???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: why ??

Post by BusBug&KG » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Trial and error
Tony C

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BusBug&KG » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 pm

With the main emphasis on the error bit!!
An accident waiting to happen!!

rust is a must

george21

Post by george21 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:22 pm

maddison wrote:so, the trend seems to be for folks to spend a lot of money on drop spindles, beam adjusters etc...find it rubs, then fitting coilovers or airdampers to lift it back up a bit

Simple! Because it's crap design!
Think about it, what holds your suspension from hitting the tarmac on, say 70 mph?

Magic8Ball
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Magic8Ball » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 am

70 MPH 8O What you driving ??

Same could be said of adjusters, what if they fail at 70 MPH, that would be scary, the underside of your cab floor sitting on top of the tyres, smoke billowing out of the arches, would look cool tho ............... :wink:
Magic8Ball says - ask me a question
Genuine Oil Dripper
- SSC&FATTC Member
Rides
AIR COOLED - 59 Kombi, 60 KG, 61 BUG, Chateau Mobile Trailer Tent.
WATER COOLED - 2016 Golf 1.0 Full Bluemotion with 7Speed DSG - Reflex Silver

Topic Author
maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:43 am

george21 wrote:
maddison wrote:so, the trend seems to be for folks to spend a lot of money on drop spindles, beam adjusters etc...find it rubs, then fitting coilovers or airdampers to lift it back up a bit

Simple! Because it's crap design!
Think about it, what holds your suspension from hitting the tarmac on, say 70 mph?
but....everyone who has retro fitted air dampers or coilovers to stop the rubbing has essentially over-ridden the bus suspension anyway and is doing what the EZ coilover kit does

thats my point,, when red9 brought the EZ coilover kit out.....all this talk about its dangerous, all that weight on a single bolt sh!t (like every other modern car in the world)
as soon as the complete front end kit came out (with...yes, you guessed it, the whole suspension relying on a single bolt...LIKE every other car in the world...hahah...but this time its near 2k, and people lap it up, every other bus is now runnijng or soon the run the super dooper red9 front end.......nowts changes, the £400 EZ coilover kit even uses the same coilovers

Topic Author
maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:44 am

BusBug&KG wrote:With the main emphasis on the error bit!!
oh yeah...thats it ;-)

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

Add in a dogback beam for castor, a rascal rack conversion, pop your spindles on and source some 944 hubs and discs to try and keep the cost down and ...ooh that fancy wishbone setup looks like good value ;)

Sorry to ask a serious question on a pointless thread but Isn't there a difference between taking the entire weight on the bolts and just using them to ease up an inch - surely the major bumps and stresses are still taken or at least assisted by the main suspension? Or have misunderstood?

I ran on just airshocks on the bolts for a couple of years and was absolutely fine as you know but still want to understand the theory against it.

Topic Author
maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 am

if i stick 120psi in my airdampers, it lifts about an inch...so pretty much unloading the torsion springs ...i'd say 95% of the time inflated the bus is totally working on the damper mounts
The fact that tyres rub on big bumps un-inflated....but NEVER rub inflated, makes me think its never actually having to rely on the 'back up' standard setup

like you, i've had the bus running for several years on the damper mounts and had NO issues whatsoever

I agree about the fancy red9 complete front end...worth the money if your doing it all anyway...but my point was against a traditional beam/adjusters/drop spindles/coilovers......fitting the EZ coilover makes much more sense, especially as the top end version that everyone raves about , is also essentially held up by the x2 coilover mounting bolts (the main reason everyone dismissed ther EZ coil - yet rush out to buy the singing/dancing full caboodle)

Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 pm

BusBug&KG wrote:Trial and error
Tony C
That's his middle name Maddison.

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 am

I suppose if it never rubs then you must still be carrying the weight on the shocks - hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps it would help to have a general sticky in the technical section entitled 'Help, I've spent a lot of money trying to look cool and now my wife/girlfriend is complaining she doesn't like it, how do I make it better?'

I will write the first seventeen pages.

Choc
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Choc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Monkey see, Monkey do!! :wink:

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm

The coil overs are just assisting the main springs. If they were carrying the whole weight they would need to be 3 or 4 times higher rate

george21

Post by george21 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 pm

"Every modern car in the world" yes, but t was designed and tested that way! What tests have you done?
Or when it brakes, oh fukn hell what was that!! Sorry, nah, not for me.