WARNING MAY CAUSE OFFENCE

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
beetleben

WARNING MAY CAUSE OFFENCE

Post by beetleben » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Okay to start off, this post is designed to clarify what is and what isn't acceptable when replying to topics.
I'm going to post a couple of links to recent posts which seem to contradict, or not, what is and not good manners.

If I refer to anyone by name it is only to highlight what seems, to me at least, to be a discrepency. PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENCE

EXAMPLE 1
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100275

Are jokes allowed? Or was it just not in good taste?
Are we only allowed or supposed to reply if it specifically answers the title of the post?

EXAMPLE 2
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99435

If I was out of line for going off topic then where were the post police (referring to other users and not the moderators) when flatbeat brought up a totally different topic. It was hardly what the title description was about.
Was Alex VW Heritage in his right to respond how he wanted to?

What if Alex VW Heritage had of replied -'It's responses like this that have seen me avoid forums for some time. Well done, very useful input' and 'isn't there something on tv? Jeremy Kyle perhaps it would be a better use of time than polluting my post.'

Would flatbeat be in his right to take offence at this as he wasn't talking about anything to do with the original post?
If I was Alex VW Hertiage though I could also be thinking, 'What the hell, I was only offering a chance to win £2k's worth of stuff!'

EXAMPLE 3
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98609

Is it not the done thing to say you're not a fan of a part or style of someone else's vehicle?
If so can you explain?
Is it that the guy who owns it isn't on this forum so doesn't know, hence it's ok?
Is it that this 'bus' is newly done so that's ok, but if it was done 20 years ago that's a taboo subject?

7 out of the 12 posts ridiculed it but still no post police.

Ok you may think I was completely out of order on Example1 on all accounts. But where were you guys on Example 2? Or if it was that I joked about the paint on Example 1 than where were you on Example 3

Is it WHO said what as opposed to WHAT was said?

As it happens personally I think both examples 2 and 3 are perfectly fine. In Example 2 I think it was better for flatbeat to say what he felt even on a topic that wasn't what was being discussed. If you read through to the end you'll see flatbeat came up with a really good suggestion which will hopefully be added sometime.

As for Example 3 I totally agree with the sentiments but why one rule for that and not the other?

You may feel all 3 Examples are wrong for all these reasons. If indeed you do then do you have any suggestions as forums are made up of people of all personalities, backgrounds and humour?
Should there be a section for those that just want a straight forward, no banter, keep you opinions and jokes to yourself section and a seperate section for those that don't mind and may enjoy the as mentioned?

Maybe a traffic light system where if your title is in red then this means only reply if you answer specifically what i've asked.
Orange means I don't mind some chit chat about the subject but within reason.
Green means anything is allowed, likes, dislikes and if the topic starts talking about something else then fine.

The Examples 2 and 3 were only used as they were recent and stuck out in my mind at the time.

So please if you have got this far then feel free to make a reply of anything you feel is relevant. I would ask if you could refrain from swearing (Choc), not that i'm offended by it but others may. If you want to pm me swear words then feel free :D
Last edited by beetleben on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isuzu

Re: WARNING MAY CAUSE OFFENCE

Post by Isuzu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 pm

I didn't see a problem personally with example 1 to be honest remember reading the post (haven't got time to read the other 2 at the moment)

Just came across as a light hearted bit of banter to me

Sooty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Sooty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm

8O

Too much time on your hands!

:wink:
'NEVER SACRIFICE WHO YOU ARE JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT'

SPLITLESS...

The last 5 years! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44037

Topic Author
beetleben

Post by beetleben » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 pm

If you get chance sometime have a look at the others sometime.

Just so as not to offend anyone, FBI particular, the post is meant to clear up to me post decorum and not to have a go

Topic Author
beetleben

Post by beetleben » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Possibly

nige1171
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by nige1171 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Wow, lengthy post and a lot to take in there.

I'm not going to bother commenting on everything but I will add just these thoughts...

I think your 'joke' on the FBI dude's thread, if that's what it was intended to be, was probably in poor taste, poorly worded or whatever. I sometimes read comments on this forum which I think will cause offence but unbenown to me, both parties are actually long time friends (in the real world too) and the comments are met with equally blunt but fun responses and everyone's cool about it. In your case, it would appear that you made a 'joke' about someone's supposed poor taste but you don't know him well enough to be that personal about him.

Example 2 - I have to agree, Alex's posts are noticibly biased towards his employer VW Heritage, and pushing their products, whether subtly or more obviously. This does wind some people up. I like to think of this place as a community of enthusiasts helping each other, rather than the 'perfect place to promote your business'. He is making himself ripe for pickings cos he doesn't contribute to many 'normal' threads, only those where he can suggest products they stock. This doesn't just apply to Alex though. The boatyard dude trying to flog his used black Empi 5's for £350 for 12 long months and bumping his thread every 2 weeks is equally irritating. It's not like he contributes on any other threads either. FBI-guy is not one of these guys as a general rule. He has a business but if anything, his past customer's promote him more than he does.

Re the ugly bus thread (Example 3), yes I think the fact that the owner is not on this forum has a lot to do with it. No-one is being rude to his face. In any case, that bus is so extreme I would bet the guy has a pretty thick skin anyway and would tell us all what he thought of us prissy bus owners.

One last thing whilst we're in the swing, I'm not a big fan of the self-appointed Grammar Police either. I see the spelling errors like anyone else, and try to avoid them in my own posts, but not everyone is an academic master. We all have our skills in different fields. Some of you guys are a lot more skilled with your hands than me.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I'm off to bed now to cuddle my teddy and hope the world is a kinder place when I wake up tomorrow....

Peace to all men n all that :wink:

Nige

My build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69457

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:59 pm

I gave up reading the full details above - but when different personalities get involved via a keyboard you usually find that the issues get exaggerated very quickly due to limited time / limited communication and misunderstood context. That's life ( in cyber space)
On SSVC I find the most " challenging " examples are the negative comments on the For Sale threads. Many other forums do not allow comments on For Sale threads - a direct equivalent in VW world is Club 80-90. In my humble opinion a clear Buyer Beware notice would suffice . Or perhaps a "For Sale Threads Comments" thread in the members only section.

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 am

eg 1....you made a joke,
the original owner took offence...I think its fairly obvious from that point you where treading on dodgy ground and should have backed off......but kept going, knowing he was touchy...and rightly so, it was his bus, he painted it and he had fond memories of it....and you where basically laughing in his face calling it an embassment

bit out of order

but them you do this post to continue the debate, dragging up unrelated posts to somehow justify your mocking of another guys bus
(fair enough - one bus was mocking another bus......but I SERIOUSLY do belive the owner of that bus wnats to be mocked...or cause debate...or be the centre of attention, no matter what the attention)

i do honestly think that FBI just had a bus he felt looked cool (whether at the time...or now.....and even now, it doesnt look that bad to me, and no, its not the colour choice i would paint my bus, but i dont dislike it in any way, it still looks pretty good to me...and I bet at the time, FBI F*cking loved it....and obviously still does

......finally, the heritage thing, dont think anyone was out to offend, mock or make someone feel bad, he obviously just enjoys his work and was letting people know about a deal that might be of interest

All in all, no one was harmed,
the 80's bus is still cool in my eyes
you lost the plot a bit

get over it, lets all hug , hold hands and walk off into the sunset :-)

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 am

...of and it isnt a Police state, so lets not get on the mods back and turn it into one

Topic Author
beetleben

Post by beetleben » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 am

Sorry when I refer to the post police I wasn't meaning the moderators, I was referring to other members jumping in to say you're out of order. I was wondering why in Example 1 they saw fit but not a peep in 2 & 3.

Not wanting to pick a fight with anyone, just seems a bit inconsistent of some. Maybe they just didn't see them or maybe its just mates sticking together.

WILL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by WILL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 am

Sooty wrote:8O

Too much time on your hands!

:wink:
You can TALK (POST) Sooty :wink: no offence meant mate :lol:

The problem with typed communication is a lack of facial communication :D That's what these are for 8) :lol:

Topic Author
beetleben

Post by beetleben » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Maddison -but them you do this post to continue the debate, dragging up unrelated posts to somehow justify your mocking of another guys bus

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear, the examples given are unrelated in topic and were not used to continue any debate on specifics of them. Although I am happy to do so if anyone may wish.

The issues i'm sorting to clear in my mind are-

Post on a topic if you can't add anything specific to it?
Bring up something else on someone else's topic or start a totally new one?
Joke but only if you know that person?
If you feel offended do you have the right to respond if it's not your post?
Is it taboo to talk about peoples buses or only if they're not on here? But how do you know?

Etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure you can think of a whole list of things that you could include to the list.

FBI by his own admission has avoided forums because of the likes of my post. So this is not trying to continue any debate, quite the opposite, I'm trying to avoid myself or anyone else doing similar to others.

Does that not sound like a good thing to do?

But as said in my original post, we're all different, I mean what would this place be like without Joe Le Count De Jayfor's sense of humour? But others may not appreciate that, but I do.

Aspro

Post by Aspro » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:43 pm

I think you're taking all this a little too serious. Move on. Lifes too short. :D

slammeddeluxe
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by slammeddeluxe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:22 pm

WHS ^ (Aspro). I have been a member (paid up) for years and have met LOADS of cool peeps off here. My humour is northern sarcastic. But as I know and have met most people face to face I know they can take it. I get as much back and enjoy the banter. Peace out.
http://www.vw-camper-hire.co.uk
Choice of 2 camper vans available for your special day

Sooty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Sooty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm

slammeddeluxe wrote:WHS ^ (Aspro). I have been a member (paid up) for years and have met LOADS of cool peeps off here. My humour is northern sarcastic. But as I know and have met most people face to face I know they can take it. I get as much back and enjoy the banter. Peace out.

No kidding!!!! :lol:
'NEVER SACRIFICE WHO YOU ARE JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT'

SPLITLESS...

The last 5 years! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44037