The phrase "scene tax"

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
FBI

The phrase "scene tax"

Post by FBI » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 am

Usually said by those relatively new to the scene (correct me if I'm wrong) who have not seen prices steadily build over a long period as costs go up and rarity of items increases.
If someone states looking for a part for my bus but not looking to pay "scene tax" prices what I read is I am looking to pay less than the item is worth.
The phrase is done. But it's quite possible these guys still say "Wassuuup" when they answer the phone.
:roll:
FBI VW. Classic VW vehicles and parts.
W: http://www.fbivw.com
E: info@fbivw.com
T: 01792 927672

shelltoes

Re: The phrase "scene tax"

Post by shelltoes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 am

I try not to get eggy about it, but i completely agree.
"Scene tax" just seems to be a jealous(?), annoyed or at least misinformed way of saying "market value"

Anyone using the term should be made to advertise their bus at what Parkers guide value it at.
SBS UK # 29.

Huw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Huw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Totally agree Graham, its not tax, its pure supply and demand.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I think it's more of a "lazy" or "ignorance tax".

Supply and demand covers the rare, hard to produce stuff etc etc.

The inflated prices for basic nuts and bolts type stuff, is simply paying for someone else to sell you the correct item so you don't have to research the answer and buy yourself
Last edited by vwJim on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Huw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Huw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Yes Jim,
But as soon as someone comments 'scene tax' it transfers into my head as, I'm a dick head!

macca1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by macca1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 am

got to agree with jim , some items for sale are pure rip off,lot of people including long time dealers cashing in..

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DOUGAL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I agree that 'scene tax' doesn't exist for rare items and a lot of (original) parts have become harder to get.
But if you want to buy a rubber and it's priced a lot more than when you go to your local car/camping/boat shop what is that called?
I agree with Jim. If you look around you will find cheaper ways of getting the basic nuts and bolts type stuff.

Gertjan
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Mon May 15, 2017 9:59 am

I've defended Graham in the past and I'll do so for anyone who takes the time to outlay money to find, buy and transport the correct parts for buses today so we can all have the best, i.e. Rust free, NOS , genuine to replace repro stuff.
I hold my head up and will normally pay what is asked for the part I want, or on the other hand, don't feel guilty to sell parts that I've been lucky enough to buy back in the day when front arches NOS were two for a quid.
I've been accused of adding The Scene Tax to parts I sell, but most do it for profit to either support a home, there van hobby or as a business, I do it to make a small profit so I can buy more, as an when I see it for sale.
It is supply and demand, as for the nuts and bolts thing well it's about being aware I guess, I used to use a guy who sold stainless steel stuff and paid through the nose because he was just up the road and I needed it NOW.
Search the net and today you can buy a box for less than I was paying for ten bolts, every one seems to get accused of ripping someone off.
Today if I strip a van I'll send all the bolts off to a company in Dorset......called Dorsetware.....they blast and coat the bolts so I can use Kamax, Verbus or Kipping......but I had to use the web...
Jims been about longer than daylight so he knows the ropes, the new guys come from a different generation I guess..
Heh ho...
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !