Maximum wheel width on the rear end

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)

Topic Author
Splitscreen turbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Maximum wheel width on the rear end

Post by Splitscreen turbo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 am

Hi everyone I'm new to the site and in the process of redesigning my setup on my 1958 rhd 11 window it currently has a it's rear conversion and full hi spec disc upgrade with 6 pots up front and 4 at the rear. Just want to optimize grip so wondered what you guys and gals were all running

orb

Re: Maximum wheel width on the rear end

Post by orb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 am

Depends on a lot of factors really - are you running reduction boxes? is it straight axled or IRS'd and if so which kit as they all vary, what brakes etc.

The more important thing is offset and back spacing - if you're after the widest wheels you can fit then you need to take all the correct measurements and have a set of wheels customer build to fit your gap.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/tec ... techid=101

You can go really extreme if you like by narrowing the rear torsion bar or having some stepped spring plates made up.

Most normally modded buses will wear a 5.5-6 inch rear wheel but I've seen as wide as 10 inch but that obviously requires a few mods!

The truth is you can have as wide a wheel as you like its just down to the amount of work and money you want to put into it but without narrowing and tubbing 6 inches is probably all you're going to get.

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

Topic Author
Splitscreen turbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Splitscreen turbo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Cheers mate I'm running a irs rear so with lowest amount of hassle looks like a 6 will be me then. Image wheels are actually making me a 3 piece split wheel so hoping I can push the limits a little. Biggest problem would be the spring plate and bodywork of arch. On measuring it did look possible to run a 7 tho?

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm

If you have enough offset I have seen a 7" wheel fitted, but with an early bus the longer wheel arch may make things difficult - but undoing the shock mount and using adjustable spring plates might help?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm currently playing with some big rims, on a SA converted bus.

11" rims wouldn't go inside the arch to spring plate gap, so if you really wanted that width, then a narrowed rear torsion housing would be needed, but then on a SA bus there's limited commercially available axle lengths with the correct spline lengths for big brakes.

First set of 9" fitted in the arch, but sat on the spring plate, so that would need a small spacer, though that would have put the tyre very close to the bodywork.

Then got a set of modified 11" rims, that are narrowed down to 9" but have a better offset than the stock 9". Result is the rim sits bang in the middle of the arch / spring plate gap. No tubbing required. So there will be a 235/35x19" tyre which is way more than is needed really.
tyre.jpg
Then at the front, its going to need a narrowed beam, to get the tyre inside the arch.
rim.jpg
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.