Rear suspension set up's

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)
jerrythegerman

Rear suspension set up's

Post by jerrythegerman »

Hello,

Have any of you got any fancy suspension set ups to help getting off the line?

Mine's been S/A'd and apart from shorter KYB GR2 gas shocks, that's it.

Will bottoming out be a issue?
"It's rust Jim, but not as we know it"

gazmate

Re: Rear suspension set up's

Post by gazmate »

Thats the same as my set up seems fine be interesting to see if theres a better option???
OOOPSEY the DR Pepper Bus

Click Here To Look At The Dubnuts Forum

shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by shawn »

Irs'd and buttys intermediate mount (which is great). LSD. Seriously looking into a rear mount/ cradle too but the turbo and header is in the way, something like this vvvvvvv

Could also look into adjustable rear shocks to experiment with traction. Not noticed any bottoming out after hard launches even with a 3" tailpipe and a very deep sump.

Shawn.
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

gazmate

Post by gazmate »

Oh yeah i have got a front gearbox strap and "Buttys" intermediate gearboxmount as well,

Shawn your set up is so nice!
OOOPSEY the DR Pepper Bus

Click Here To Look At The Dubnuts Forum

orb

Post by orb »

I'm IRS'd with an intermediate mount and it seems to be fine leaving the line with 4k dialed in, small amount of wheel spin, a bit of clutch slip (stage 2) but no tramping or untoward noise or vibrations

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f »

shawn wrote:Irs'd and buttys intermediate mount (which is great). LSD. Seriously looking into a rear mount/ cradle too but the turbo and header is in the way, something like this vvvvvvv

Could also look into adjustable rear shocks to experiment with traction. Not noticed any bottoming out after hard launches even with a 3" tailpipe and a very deep sump.

Shawn.
That looks like the one that Volksworld fitted to Andy C's old barndoor.

thing is they forgot to mention a few months later that it sat to low and shouldn't have been solidly mounted when he cracked his case as it hung down so low :roll:

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

paul_f wrote:thing is they forgot to mention a few months later that it sat to low and shouldn't have been solidly mounted when he cracked his case as it hung down so low :roll:
Ouch....

I've got SA rear end, with Race Axles / super diff' / extra spider gears etc etc (already shattered stock axles on the start line)
Mid-mount (Berg one before Butty's bus ones came out)
Home made front mount

Got, but not fitted yet, HD rear anti roll bar setup to try. Always been curious if they make any difference, but yet to test it out
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by shawn »

paul_f wrote:
shawn wrote:Irs'd and buttys intermediate mount (which is great). LSD. Seriously looking into a rear mount/ cradle too but the turbo and header is in the way, something like this vvvvvvv

Shawn.
That looks like the one that Volksworld fitted to Andy C's old barndoor.

thing is they forgot to mention a few months later that it sat to low and shouldn't have been solidly mounted when he cracked his case as it hung down so low :roll:
It's in fact a library photo you sent me some time ago Paul!

Definately only a guide as to what to do. A heavy duty rubber 'bobbin' or similar either end would be required. And as you can see it hangs lower than the deep sump so as good as unuseable. I think i'd rather fit the rear mount with a solid rubber buffer to sit under the case rather than bolting it to the case and risking damaging the it. Buttys mount is good but with a heavy ali case and a little bit more torque than your usual hi-po engine I do need to look into reducing any movement.
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

jerrythegerman

Post by jerrythegerman »

Cheers gent's, I've fitted the Speedshop Mid mount (told it was a Gene berg rep type one), new rubbers, Sway away's, superdiff and the like.

I may well wait and see if anything else needs uprating. That rear engine subframe looks like a good idea, just could be a tight fit on the turbo system/manifold.
"It's rust Jim, but not as we know it"

orb

Post by orb »

I ran my old type 4 motor with a rear engine brace bar and I think it lasted about 3 hours on the road before I ripped it clean off (luckily without any damage) - I'm sure a well designed one would be of benefit but I wonder how much extra noise and vibration you'd get from it if it was solid mounted. Fine if it's purely a drag machine but a pain in the butt if it's to be used on the road as well, I noticed a huge amount more noise and vibration when I used poly bushes instead of rubber - If I'm honest I think my bus is too loud for the road now, I feel for my poor wife and kids when we do a long trip.

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

orb wrote:If I'm honest I think my bus is too loud for the road now, I feel for my poor wife and kids when we do a long trip.

Orb
Less of a heavy foot might help... :wink:

I'll try find a photo of a cool rear brace setup I saw a while back. Definately rubber mount everything rather than solid / poly mounts. I've been in a solid mounted panel, and that deafening!
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers »

I'm running Avo coilovers apart from that similar to yours.