changes required for bigger engines

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)

Topic Author
busben

changes required for bigger engines

Post by busben » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Just wanted a bit of advice on how big to go before it starts to get "complicated". I have a Straight Axle bus with a 1303 box, and I know I could bolt a 1776 in and drive all day. What happens if I go bigger though? Would the box handle, say a 1900 or 2000cc lump, and what else might I need to consider? external oil cooling, regular tune ups, etc, etc?

Cheers people, (and please excuse the ignorance :oops: ),

Ben

orb

Re: changes required for bigger engines

Post by orb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 pm

A stock box might last a while but with anything in excess of 120 bhp you'll start unwinding 3rd and 4th - so if you're looking fr that sort of power then a "built" box is a must.
Other things that should need attention are;

Cooling - yes you'll need full flow and an external cooler but also bank on spending another couple of hundred on pipes and fittings (the pipes that come with the kits should be binned instantly - they are rubbish).
Midmount on the gearbox
Stage 2 clutch
Oil breather system - price dependant on your engine spec but for example mine cost me £250 8O
Fuel pump and regulator if you don't already have one
gauges to monitor it - not essential obviously but a sound idea
as for maintenance it'll need oil, filter and tappets done every 3000miles

It ain't cheap to make a bus go quick but it is very satisfying :wink:

Ask any questions you like, there's no such thing as a dumb question only dumb answers!

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by SAMBA VAN MAN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Bigger Engine (Fit Better brakes and maybe a Servo) Speak to gin23deluxe viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49014 ref Brakes and VW Jim off here for a Servo. I would rather know that im gonna stop before i go quick :lol: :lol:
Never stand on the toes of someone today, Who's A$$ you could be kissin tomorrow.

Paul

Topic Author
busben

Post by busben » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks Guys. Don't worry Paul, the stopping part I have the hang of....... it's the clever bit that makes it go fast where I'm less competent!!

cheers,

Ben

jerrythegerman

Post by jerrythegerman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I know it dont help, but there's a old saying "how fast do you want to spend?"

It also depends what you want to do with it, dump the clutch, give it a hard time and run it up and down the strip with 100+hp then that's when you need the box and a Kennedy 2 clutch. 1776 or bigger really.

If you keep it down a bit and drive it ok, you'll get away with a standard box and maybe a stage 1 clutch. A nice 2007 will do the trick nicely or even a 1915 or a 1776. It's the addictive power that gets you in the end and that's where the money goes!!

The rest has been covered above by orb. TBH though, re-tunes should'nt really be needed as often as youy think if you use electronic ignition and the carbs are balanced properly to start of with, everything nipped up tight. The other bits like oil changes and tappets should be done on this type of engine anyway as per stock. That's just good practice.

Mid mounts, pumps and guages are down to how much power you want and how close you want to moniter it (with a few quid in the engine, you'll want to make sure you head off any problems). I read somewhere that a stock pump is good for upto 100hp. Cooling, to my mind is a must anyway no matter what the eventual HP outcome.

It's torque that kills boxes, trouble is with the extra cc's, that's what you get, then add a stroker crank......

I've specced mine to be as bullit proof as I can get it within reason, lots of the additional add on's jump the cost up, but that should mean it will run better and for longer. Just factor them in if youre going for it big time and you won't be as shocked!!

But as said before, it aint cheap going big.
"It's rust Jim, but not as we know it"