Does anybody run NOS?

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)

Topic Author
jerrythegerman

Does anybody run NOS?

Post by jerrythegerman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:58 pm

It maybe a crazy question, but does anyone or is just for watercooled stuff?

Just wondering about the head temps? and what additional strenghtening work you may or may not have used?. If so what size jets are you running and the relevnce to HP increase? progressive controllers or not? how much can a stage 1 kennedy take?

Or is it purely for the "Fast and the Furious"??!!
"It's rust Jim, but not as we know it"

pye1man

Re: Does anybody run NOS?

Post by pye1man » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm

jerrythegerman wrote:It maybe a crazy question, but does anyone or is just for watercooled stuff?

Just wondering about the head temps? and what additional strenghtening work you may or may not have used?. If so what size jets are you running and the relevnce to HP increase? progressive controllers or not? how much can a stage 1 kennedy take?

Or is it purely for the "Fast and the Furious"??!!

Try John (63ragtop) on vzi I know he runs nos in his beetle but has built many bus engines including mine...Or may be Stephen Jenkinson if he's still about..

Cheers

Andy
17.29ET Big Bang 07 "1st ever race"

lucky

Post by lucky » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:51 pm

There's no reason why any engine can't take Nitrous, but set up is critical, and get it wrong and it'll go catastrophic.
My friends Bike recently detonated on the rolling road when the progressive controller decided that it was all or nothing, and the bike hit 280bhp as the cylinder head seperated from the block. :angryfire: (new trousers needed) 8O
The other governing factor as i think you've gathered is "how strong is the weakest component in your engine"?
If your engine produces 100bhp, then there's no point trying to inject 150 more bhp, if your engines got a 200bhp threshold.
Will it work? No it'll go bang!
But could you pump in 50bhp, yes you could.
In an aircooled engine head temperatures are critical but as nitrous is only used in very short bursts then it shouldn't be a contributing factor as long as your engine is professionally set up.
Read the books and do it right, then enjoy!

"I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods". Damn right baby! ;-)

Topic Author
jerrythegerman

Post by jerrythegerman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks all,

If I went down that route, it would something like a 50 hp max increase (and hopefully building up to 50 softly if possible?), that would put me in the 170 -180hp barrier a with it turned on with the new engine.

Regardless of HP, is it a great increaser of torque?

I like idea of the extra power I could turn on and off where needed. I'll ask the supplier of my engine parts if the combination is likely to work, unlike a turbo installation, I gather you don't have to run lower compression?

I've twin 40's going in the bus, I gather the manifolds need to be drilled?, a extra fuel line provided and a additional fuel pump and regulator. It would be easier to prepair for it now whilst it's all out?

orb

Post by orb » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 am

As long as you're not planning on a huge shot then you shouldn't need to do any mods.
I had my engine built to take the additional power a turbo and injection will give it but funds won't allow for that right now so I'm going to have a look into this in the new year - reckon I can shoot another 100bhp of gas into mine no problem but I'd need a progressive controller as I don't want 300bhp off the line (don't think the box will like that!) - or I will use a steering wheel mounted switch so I can kick it in once I'm into 2nd gear.
Either way I guess I'll take it to someone to fit and set up who knows what they are doing, dont want to cut corners and watch my £7k engine follow me down the strip in bits!
A couple of people worth talking to are
http://www.noswizard.com/
There was a company called Twisted Sanity that did good value kits but I can't seem to find a website for them now - there is however a good article on the old RACESHACK website that details what's involved during an install http://raceshack.co.uk/content/view/36/41/

If you're comfortable fitting it yourself then these guys have a few kits for sale although they do seem to be focused on fuel injected cars
http://www.akamoto.co.uk/nitrous-cars.asp
or if you're really brave then build your own, Burgermans site rocks - everything you need to know
http://www.nitrous.info/

Either way let us know how you get on

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

Topic Author
jerrythegerman

Post by jerrythegerman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

Cheer's, I'll have a look. I'd not want that sort of power off the line, but in second once rolling would be good. I think the negine spec will take it if i keep the shot down and dont use it off the line. Think the gearbox should be fine though.

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:29 pm

You naughty boy :lol: , trust the engine builder mate :wink:

Topic Author
jerrythegerman

Post by jerrythegerman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 am

I wrote it before I spoke to him!!

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:30 pm

jerrythegerman wrote:I wrote it before I spoke to him!!

I was only joking anyway :wink: speak soon :wink: