venting a 1915cc motor

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)

Topic Author
piran
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

venting a 1915cc motor

Post by piran » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:18 pm

hi guys,
i am looking for advice and pics of anyone that has a 1915cc motor regarding venting rocker covers/oil fillers and venting to carb air filters/ or expansion tank.
i am looking to have a tidyish engine bay so am looking for ideas of the best route to have pipes/hoses etc.
also if i need to make holes in tinware for pipes will it effect the cooling at all.
many thanks
rob

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: venting a 1915cc motor

Post by vwJim » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 pm

If the engine has been built right, just something like a CB or Berg breather tower. Nothing to the rockers.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
piran
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by piran » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 pm

vwJim wrote:If the engine has been built right, just something like a CB or Berg breather tower. Nothing to the rockers.
hi jim,
bought the motor second hand running well but not sure who built it so would it be advisable to ben the rocker covers as well as have the breather tower.
many thanks
rob

lids_2001
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by lids_2001 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:59 pm

No harm in venting the rocket covers. Do it at the top corner, flywheel end. Then cut two holes in the tinware that fits over the flywheel and run hoses to the breather tower. Make sure the breather tower is vented either to carb air cleaners or a small filter so it's under atmospheric pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tourist exchange with optional extra of a rubber mat!

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:23 pm

One advantage of not having the rocker covers vented is any slight pressure from piston blowby pushes the oil out of the head and back into the sump where its meant to be.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
piran
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by piran » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:48 pm

vwJim wrote:One advantage of not having the rocker covers vented is any slight pressure from piston blowby pushes the oil out of the head and back into the sump where its meant to be.
hi jim,
what about venting the engine case?
is that something you guys do and if the engine case is vented do you need to vent the rocker covers etc
many thanks
rob

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:03 pm

As I said, if built well it won't need rocker covers venting which also makes servicing easier.

The case is already vented up the alternator stand, so if that is to a breather box or filler tower so any oil vapour drops out of suspension you can pipe that to the air filter(s).

Karl_F
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Karl_F » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Jim, is it still normal to get oil residue in the filters? I'm sure I'm losing oil through the carbs on hard motor way journeys, as I don't drop any oil & the motor never smokes. Normal driving never seems to result in any major oil loss.
Karl

1960 Mango 11 window

Mango build thread

Instagram & Facebook @ 73Aircooled

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:50 pm

You sometimes get a bit in there, though not enough to effect the engine.

Stainless steel gauze in the tower helps.