rebuilding my 2276

A place for BWA'ers, wannabee's or just those with a 'passing' interest in straight line speed. (You see what we did there?)
You're gonna like us :-)

Topic Author
modifiedbrian
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

rebuilding my 2276

Post by modifiedbrian » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm

OK rebuilding my motor due to a apparent woodruff key failure on the timing gear.

Considering upping to an 84mm crank. Been offered very low milage 48 idf 's for my 45 Del's.

Not fixed on a can choice but looking for any ideas or comments.

Looking to also move away from using this as daily motor all year round & consider running my spare engine more during winter.

Thank Brian.
2276cc fuel injected turbo 1967 SO42
Best ET 14.66

YOUR ONLY SUPPOSE TO BLOW THE BLOODY DOORS OFF !!!!

orb

Re: rebuilding my 2276

Post by orb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

If it's going to more of a race motor then the 48's are perfect.
As for the cam, the webcam 86c is a very good cam for high rpm, doesn't do much before 4k but will hang into 7500-8000rpm no problem.
If money us no object then a JPM Raptor cam is the way forward and worth another 20-30 hp over a "normal" cam - not cheap but the best you can buy.

One thing I would absolutely recommend is that once you have the crank, flywheel and clutch together have them balanced as a complete unit, it's essential for longevity

Hope that helps

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

Topic Author
modifiedbrian
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by modifiedbrian » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Funny that, money is an issue at the mo but engines always seem to come first.

Took my current 82mm to Stateside this morning to be balanced with one of their full weight flywheels and stage 1

Then decided to buy a new DPR 82 crank, which jim will do all the above work to. Now that I'm considering taking a little longer and build something better. Currently have a new fk8 to replace what I had but could hopefully exchange that up.

Only have my bus for transport but realizing I need look after this size motor in terms of milage.
2276cc fuel injected turbo 1967 SO42
Best ET 14.66

YOUR ONLY SUPPOSE TO BLOW THE BLOODY DOORS OFF !!!!

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Having the other motor stock or mild with heat exchangers will be nice during the winter commute. Plus give time to freshen up big engine each season.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.