Barndoor Mainia...........

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
VwVanDude
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Barndoor Mainia...........

Post by VwVanDude »

SInce buying my 54' Barn door back in May I've noticed at massive influx of interest in Barn doors........
The First European barn door is happening in Holland.........and the prices seem to have go crazy......
The Barn door Division has been created on Facebook which has separated the Barn door buses from post 55' Buses......
My Bus seems to have gone up by at least £10,000.........Can our world or Splitbuses handle the price rise and how does it help younger enthusiasts get into the Splitbus world...........?

Its great to have more valueable assets but at what cost.....??
07' swb Transporter Panel Van
58' Electronic equipment Panel Van
54' 11 window Barn Door

the bus driver
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Barndoor Mainia...........

Post by the bus driver »

I think you're caught in your own (BD) world there..

If you look around you will notice it's not just Barndoor buses but all buses and their parts, despite getting the average thread popping up by sombody stating the prices have gone down :roll:

I very much agree that it is hard for the new and young enthusiast to buy into the scene with a split screen bus.

Some of the parts have gone through the roof in only 1,5-2 yrs time, for ex. look at the price of 15" steelies.. it's hard to find them on this site under £200 where as 2 ys ago I bought a set here for the common price of £110 and at EBI 1 I bought a set for 40€/£35 !!!

On the bus side, the average good driving "basic" bus with a bit of a decent interior, ok paint job and some mod's goes easily just under 20k these days where as 2 yrs ago you'd find a similar bus on this website for 12-15k

I see the same thing happening with highroofs where the demand has enormously increased in the last 2 yrs, and the same thing has happened with bay windows.. especially bay westy's fetch big money these days, easily 15k were as these buses were sold for under 10k 2 yrs ago..

The fact that BD's are the earliest buses and most of them have been found now drives the price even harder, look at what prices the very early models go.. they soon will be found mostly in private collection if the price continuous like this..

Be happy with what you've got :D They're a geat investment.. better then a house here in the UK :wink:

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DOUGAL »

I don't have a barndoor, would like one but don't have the space for it. And I really like to keep my Kombi, it's part of the family now. So does it really matter that the bus is worth a lot more than 2 yrs ago? Not to me as I don't plan to sell it anyway. I've got my bus to use it, have lots of fun with it, the family to enjoy it and maybe one day for my daughter to use it.

It's a shame all parts are priced too high but I shouldn't need much more except for maintenance. I've told myself not to buy (much) anymore. It's a shame because there is some nice stuff out there but prices are too ridiculous to me.

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Gertjan
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple
Link to forum post

Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai »

Its VW mania, its why a 2006 T5 panel van costs twice as much as a 2006 Ford Transit panel van... :wink:
In the pub after Hessisch.

VwVanDude
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by VwVanDude »

DOUGAL wrote:I don't have a barndoor, would like one but don't have the space for it. And I really like to keep my Kombi, it's part of the family now. So does it really matter that the bus is worth a lot more than 2 yrs ago? Not to me as I don't plan to sell it anyway. I've got my bus to use it, have lots of fun with it, the family to enjoy it and maybe one day for my daughter to use it.

It's a shame all parts are priced too high but I shouldn't need much more except for maintenance. I've told myself not to buy (much) anymore. It's a shame because there is some nice stuff out there but prices are too ridiculous to me.

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Gertjan
Your not wrong........I vowed never to buy another Splitty and just keep my 58 Panel due to the crazy prices......but when the Barn door turned up.......well you know what happens.........after talking yourself round and telling the wife what a good investment it would be......two days later the Barn door was mine........!!
54' 11 window Barn Door

VwVanDude
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by VwVanDude »

the bus driver wrote:I think you're caught in your own (BD) world there..

If you look around you will notice it's not just Barndoor buses but all buses and their parts, despite getting the average thread popping up by sombody stating the prices have gone down :roll:

I very much agree that it is hard for the new and young enthusiast to buy into the scene with a split screen bus.

Some of the parts have gone through the roof in only 1,5-2 yrs time, for ex. look at the price of 15" steelies.. it's hard to find them on this site under £200 where as 2 ys ago I bought a set here for the common price of £110 and at EBI 1 I bought a set for 40€/£35 !!!

On the bus side, the average good driving "basic" bus with a bit of a decent interior, ok paint job and some mod's goes easily just under 20k these days where as 2 yrs ago you'd find a similar bus on this website for 12-15k

I see the same thing happening with highroofs where the demand has enormously increased in the last 2 yrs, and the same thing has happened with bay windows.. especially bay westy's fetch big money these days, easily 15k were as these buses were sold for under 10k 2 yrs ago..

The fact that BD's are the earliest buses and most of them have been found now drives the price even harder, look at what prices the very early models go.. they soon will be found mostly in private collection if the price continuous like this..

Be happy with what you've got :D They're a geat investment.. better then a house here in the UK :wink:
Hi Stephan,
I say Barn door mania as all the previous shows have been about all Split screens and All Vw aircooled, but now we are about to do the 2nd Barn door show.......this has put the spot light on Barn doors and sending the prices through the roof........... now on Face book there is a Barn door Division.........I'm not a big fan of these crazy prices ....in 2002 I bought my 64' rhd devon 11 window for £5500 and remember saying how much the vans have gone up.......considering in 95 my first late bay pop top camper was £440and two years later my 71' early bay was £580..........admittedly they both needed loads of work but now you'd have trouble finding a good set of doors for one at the cost I paid.......!!
54' 11 window Barn Door

harryvonstacks

Post by harryvonstacks »

I have been lucky enough to buy a barndoor last year ,I paid top wack and really don't think I could sell it for any more than what I bought it for. To be honest I don't think I could put a mark up on it as I would feel like I was contributing to the rapid price hike, however if anyone has a spare 350k I might sell it ( reasonable by comparison) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PER MARE PER TERRAM. SINCE 1664

matt d

Post by matt d »

harryvonstacks wrote:I have been lucky enough to buy a barndoor last year ,I paid top wack and really don't think I could sell it for any more than what I bought it for. To be honest I don't think I could put a mark up on it as I would feel like I was contributing to the rapid price hike, however if anyone has a spare 350k I might sell it ( reasonable by comparison) ;)

Bargain :cheers:

cloudinspector
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by cloudinspector »

VW Scene tax. Simples.
There's other classics out there just as rare as barndoors or later splits and they don't attract any where near the same prices.
Also there's too many people in the 'scene' just to make money or because it's seen to be 'cool' rather than the sheer enjoyment of owning old vehicles.
1956 PANEL
2009 62' tug style narrowboat (home)
http://www.narrowboatmervyn.blogspot.co.uk
talk is cheap but shouting's free

harryvonstacks

Post by harryvonstacks »

True, it's N iconic vehicle that transcends all age groups therefore more people want them than vans available =. Price hike. Still if you can afford an asking price and you want it that much, good luck to you !

PER MARE PER TERRAM. SINCE 1664

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 »

It makes me laugh when I see the ratty barndoors then the price they are up for, because they will need the same money again to put right, which doesn't seem to happen they just chuck a load of crap wax on them and hope they will survive, the reality is the rust will eventually win and they will slowly destroy vw history. So with prices getting so high recently maybe they will finally get into the hands of collectors who will save them

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Og paint but there are barndoors in use out there with half the engine lid mounting hinge and swage line gone and almost complete bottoms of cargo doors missing, stop being lazy and thinking your cool and cut the rot out and blend the new repairs in
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

RockStock

Post by RockStock »

readyboy61 wrote:I'm all for Og paint but there are barndoors in use out there with half the engine lid mounting hinge and swage line gone and almost complete bottoms of cargo doors missing, stop being lazy and thinking your cool and cut the rot out and blend the new repairs in
Happy Xmas Scotty! :)
StockRocks
SSSVC Membership applied for

matt d

Post by matt d »

readyboy61 wrote:It makes me laugh when I see the ratty barndoors then the price they are up for, because they will need the same money again to put right, which doesn't seem to happen they just chuck a load of crap wax on them and hope they will survive, the reality is the rust will eventually win and they will slowly destroy vw history. So with prices getting so high recently maybe they will finally get into the hands of collectors who will save them

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Og paint but there are barndoors in use out there with half the engine lid mounting hinge and swage line gone and almost complete bottoms of cargo doors missing, stop being lazy and thinking your cool and cut the rot out and blend the new repairs in
Agreed.

the bus driver
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by the bus driver »

readyboy61 wrote: Don't get me wrong I'm all for Og paint but there are barndoors in use out there with half the engine lid mounting hinge and swage line gone and almost complete bottoms of cargo doors missing, stop being lazy and thinking your cool and cut the rot out and blend the new repairs in
This particular bus you're talking of is actually in very good condition despite what you think of it.. Also this bus is being properly used and not left in the garage to collect dust or stroked.. The bits you're talking of will be repaired very soon but sometimes there are more important things to do.. The fact it's covered in wax is cos it has a really nice patina and the owner likes to keep it like that as long as possible before it needs to be repainted..

He's not lazy and actually quite a cool dude..

Moaning about someone else's bus like you do is very UN-cool .. :D

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 »

the bus driver wrote:
readyboy61 wrote: Don't get me wrong I'm all for Og paint but there are barndoors in use out there with half the engine lid mounting hinge and swage line gone and almost complete bottoms of cargo doors missing, stop being lazy and thinking your cool and cut the rot out and blend the new repairs in
This particular bus you're talking of is actually in very good condition despite what you think of it.. Also this bus is being properly used and not left in the garage to collect dust or stroked.. The bits you're talking of will be repaired very soon but sometimes there are more important things to do.. The fact it's covered in wax is cos it has a really nice patina and the owner likes to keep it like that as long as possible before it needs to be repainted..

He's not lazy and actually quite a cool dude..

Moaning about someone else's bus like you do is very UN-cool .. :D
You can repair a bus and still use it,many do including me, how many years of more important things to do does it take

I'm not picking on any one bus, I get patina but after a point its just rotting away, wax will not work forever
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?