Shipping

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
Simon

Shipping

Post by Simon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:03 pm

Anybody know rough cost of shipping a van from west coast of the USA back to the UK?

Any shipping Co recommendations also?

Cheers

66mango

Post by 66mango » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:01 pm

I used California Shipping from LA to Chatam. They liased with Kingstown Shipping here in the UK. No problems with either company.

Steve

66bazbus

Post by 66bazbus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:24 pm

Used the same companies above, very good and helpful, Spoke to Mark at Kingstown and he arranged everything.

01482 374116
info@kingstown-shipping.co.uk

Worked out at just over a grand for shipping, loading/unloading and customs clearance.

Does not include the 17.5% vat or import duty.

Good luck, was worth the wait, plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
You going out to see the bus or buying from photo's ??

Will look out for it when back home in the valleys
'We sleep safely in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence on those who would do us harm'
Oscar Wilde

Topic Author
Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Thanks guys.

Have budgeted for VAT after reading about the change of policy on splits by those nice people at HMC&E but haven't considered import duty. What exactly is charged, %, etc?

Cheers.

lambretta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by lambretta » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:49 am

Simon wrote:Thanks guys.

Have budgeted for VAT after reading about the change of policy on splits by those nice people at HMC&E but haven't considered import duty. What exactly is charged, %, etc?

Cheers.
The import duty is 5% on the total cost, ie Bus + Shipping + VAT, which is quite clearly a tax on tax but there ya go.

I didnt pay any VAT though, I used DLR shipping in Kent (I think) and they were fairly hopefull of getting it through without the VAT, but obviously couldnt guarantee it.

Even with the VAT on its still worth it imho, as long as you do your research and have a good reason to trust the seller.

Good luck!