Glue for fixing Headliner ???

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
TJW964
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Glue for fixing Headliner ???

Post by TJW964 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 pm

The glue holding parts of my bus roof and side liner has come a bit unstuck due to the heat of Spain and France. WhT should I use to refix it?
66' Microbus
No longer ... 64 Sundial, 67 SO42, 74 Bay, 66 Beetle, T25 Crewcab, 90 964

nige1171
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Glue for fixing Headliner ???

Post by nige1171 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

I would like to know this too.....

My build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69457

gbsteve
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by gbsteve » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi chaps its got to be hi heat contact adhesive from moores i think

Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:32 am

Don't go to Spain or France, SIMPLES Serge.

Abbo

Post by Abbo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Heat resistant spray adhesive from wonderland classics

tombailey77
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by tombailey77 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Now with 1966 Buggy :)

1960 SA Double Cab
1957 Oz 11 Window (in signature if anyone knows it i would like to buy it back - MSJ 112)
1968 Baywindow
1972 Gulf Blue Bug
1973 Buggy
1973 SS Eagle (First car!)

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Le Counte de JAYFOR wrote:Don't go to Spain or France, SIMPLES Serge.
French = onions

Spanish = Alonso

Nuff said

LODGE

Post by LODGE » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Super dooper hi temp contact adhesive use in well vented place it made me see pink elephants
Slowly slowly catchy monkey

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

I used evo stic industrial brushable glue as my headliner was really heavy velum type material:-) ,its stayed up but when I tried to peel a bit bit back it took the paint off!
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

Wonderland Classics

Post by Wonderland Classics » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 am

Abbo wrote:Heat resistant spray adhesive from wonderland classics
Thanks Abbo, must be heat resistant as you say or as soon as the sun comes out your headliner will fall out!!
Chris @ Wonderland Classics
http://www.wonderlandclassics.com

http://www.wonderlandclassics.com/Produ ... %2DGlue%2D

monkey knuts

Post by monkey knuts » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Trim fix hi temp spray adhesive - cheap of eBay. The headliner isn't really glued in - its the bows and tension from the side that holds it up. A headliner shouldnt touch the roof panel anywhere. Only sideliner is glued.
Dec 62 RHD Tintop Caravette MGR / PW (1 P/O) restoration here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83572

It may only be held on by 4 bolts; but one of them is a pain in the @ss to get to!

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 pm

monkey knuts wrote:Trim fix hi temp spray adhesive - cheap of eBay. The headliner isn't really glued in - its the bows and tension from the side that holds it up. A headliner shouldnt touch the roof panel anywhere. Only sideliner is glued.
Not true I'm afraid - the rear sides of the headliner are glued to the body. Also DON'T use these so-called hi temp spray adhesives if you are putting up a vinyl headliner. The plasticiser in the vinyl will turn your glue into a wet sticky mess - ask me how I know :wink: Use a good quality contact adhesive - I use PU based adhesives on vinyl that don't seem to be affected by the plasticiser.
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

Wonderland Classics

Post by Wonderland Classics » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm

BJ1 wrote:
monkey knuts wrote:Trim fix hi temp spray adhesive - cheap of eBay. The headliner isn't really glued in - its the bows and tension from the side that holds it up. A headliner shouldnt touch the roof panel anywhere. Only sideliner is glued.
Not true I'm afraid - the rear sides of the headliner are glued to the body. Also DON'T use these so-called hi temp spray adhesives if you are putting up a vinyl headliner. The plasticiser in the vinyl will turn your glue into a wet sticky mess - ask me how I know :wink: Use a good quality contact adhesive - I use PU based adhesives on vinyl that don't seem to be affected by the plasticiser.
As BJ1 says... it's glued all around the edges... front, sides and back(see the fitting guide on our website for a better description!!) and yes be very careful with the glue you use some do indeed react with the vinyl... the high temp spray on adhesive we sell is fine and perfect for the job... we've obviously used it loads and have sold thousands of them for this purpose!!

monkey knuts

Post by monkey knuts » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:39 pm

^^^ I disagree in part:
The headliner is indeed glued in the rear corners of an 11 window and the sections above the sun visors in the front peak - this is because there are no gripper strips or welt channels in these areas. When I say, "shouldn't be glued to the roof panel anywhere" I'm referring to the roof skin.
I can only speak of cloth headliner, but I would disagree that it should be glued around the sides. The welt channels and welt strip in the headliner are what attach the headliner in these areas. Gluing the edge and trying to fit the welt and tension the headliner is a recipe for a sticky mess in my book. Trim fix is a chemical contact adhesive and doesn't alow for 'sliding' or adjustment. VW certainly didn't glue cloth headliner around the sides - I am talking about headliner here, not sideliner.
Dec 62 RHD Tintop Caravette MGR / PW (1 P/O) restoration here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83572

It may only be held on by 4 bolts; but one of them is a pain in the @ss to get to!

Topic Author
TJW964
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by TJW964 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Wonderland Classics wrote:
BJ1 wrote:
As BJ1 says... it's glued all around the edges... front, sides and back(see the fitting guide on our website for a better description!!) and yes be very careful with the glue you use some do indeed react with the vinyl... the high temp spray on adhesive we sell is fine and perfect for the job... we've obviously used it loads and have sold thousands of them for this purpose!!
Thanks for the update. Still not bought my 'glue', so now know where to go. It is only the side sections that need resticking. The roof panel sections are all fine.

Can I buy some from you?
66' Microbus
No longer ... 64 Sundial, 67 SO42, 74 Bay, 66 Beetle, T25 Crewcab, 90 964