Welding knowledge please !

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Welding knowledge please !

Post by JonnyCJ »

Anyone know roughly how long it would take to remove a lower front panel (below windows), cab floor and replace same with brand new panels.

Top quality welding required !

Cheers

Jonny

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Welding knowledge please !

Post by maddison »

sounds like quite a bit of work that...and imagine its like a piece of string, depends what you find once you remove it all, cos your down to bare bones once all thats gone
its not top quality welding you should be looking for, but someone who knows what to do with them bare bones before they cover them up with new metal

is everything else stripped...or is this a running van, seats in gear linkage, handbrake, windscreens in, lights front badge, bumpers, info like that will play a big part in guestimating how long this would take

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison »

....also, top quality v time isnt a very easy trade off, if you want top quality, its gonna take as long as it takes to do it right
on a bare van you could probably hack them all off and weld in the new metal...and weld it in well....all in a day, with loads of coffee and some speed...and the space and right tools

it'll look like new, but doesnt mean it will be underneath, if its not a bare van then your gonna be increasing those timescales considerably, removing and refitting all the fiddly stuff

are you talking about doing this yourself...or getting someone to do it for you ??

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ »

Thanks Madison - van is pretty much empty apart from taking the pedals and steering column off.

I want someone to do this for me. The van is rot free so it's a question of taking off the old and putting in new. I'm doing a RHD dash conversion as well, so debating whether to weld in a s/h RHD dash or cut and paste the old one.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ »

Found John at VWWeldingServices in Salford. Old School who's been welding dubs since the 60's.

Not far up the road and knows his onions. Anyone used him ?

SEE YA

Post by SEE YA »

As a welder myself did a fab/welding NVQ course in the 90's.
It's more than paid for itself on my old car's in the past done four restoration saved loads of money.
People often say can you weld this, or that for me how long will it take etc, each job is never the same.

When it done its done job wise, go have a chat if you find a good welder look at there work.
Tell them what you want done and go from there.

gts595

Post by gts595 »

When you say the lower panel below windows do you mean the screen surround or front panel itself.If its a rot free bus are you replacing floor etc to suit a rhd conversion.Sorry but the description is not quite clear to me.I would hesitate to do a rhd conversion on any bus as it no longer carries the same value as an unmolested bus in good og condition.As a sheetmetal fabricator with years of experience I would say to do the job and make it undetectable in a day is optimistic to say the least.Obviously this is only my opinion others may differ.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ »

Time isn't the critical factor, but a well done job is more important.

SWMBO dictates that it must be RHD.

The front clip below the windows has been repaired before, so it's a question of whether the panel can be saved or a new one goes on.

The cab floor needs to be converted or replaced for RHD. It's rot free with light surface rust in the corners, so hopefully I can just be converted. It'll be hidden under the carpet, but despite that I want a top notch job. If a new panel has to go in, then so be it.

We'll hopefully be keeping it for many years for family hols etc. so resale value isn't important right now. Most buses have been played around with these days, it's how you do it that makes the difference I think.

65-deluxe
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 65-deluxe »

PM sent

65 Deluxe , Restoration of Autobahn Exiles , Wiltshire , UK

Facebook - 65 Deluxe

www.65Deluxe.com