Newbie saying hello

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Newbie saying hello

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Hello all

Just bought an 11 window 65 Californian import and am having it delivered on Wednesday. It's basically solid, just needs prepping and painting and a new interior.

Luckily one of my best mates is very experienced in rewiring to 12v spec, so will get it fully rewired to a very high standard.

Although I've been to Vanfest and have mates who have had vdubs for many years this is my first experience. Expect the typical newbie remedial questions !

I'm on the Wirral, so might be looking for prep/paint recommendations not too far from me in due course. I'm not in a hurry, I agreed the purchase the same day my son was born, so time spent in van mode will be a bit constrained !

Cheers

Jonny

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Newbie saying hello

Post by Marvelwear » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Hello Jonny, the Wirral you say! yeah another one,welcome there is a few of us on the Wirral on here :-)I in Prenton.
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Aha ! Not too far, I'm in Heswall.

I'm toying with the idea of a rhd conversion, any opinions anyone ? It's pretty much bare metal at the mo, so the ideal time if it's ever going to be done !

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Got to ask, why do you want to rhd it? Very little residual value, not really cheapest think to do, dash cut, steering, etc... The only reason mines rhd is it was the one I wanted not because it was rhd. Best person to speak to is vw jim on this forum, to see if its viable? Lhd in a splitscreen is not the negative that it seems with most cars anyway.Hesser, just up the road, taking mine out to pensby tommorrow:-)
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Mrs CJ is pretty keen on having RHD. She's not the world's greatest passenger, so would prefer the familiarity of RHD.

Given that she agreed to let me buy it whilst in the middle of labour on Thursday evening it would be churlish of me to say no !

Will see if I can track down VW Jim.

Nice sunny day today to be cruising the streets of Pensby !

kevsplitty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by kevsplitty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi & welcome 8)
ImageImageImage

Dont walk take the bus!
Rutland Hardcore Posse 07/08/09 Zig2
Corton Hardcore camping posse 2006!

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:Mrs CJ is pretty keen on having RHD. She's not the world's greatest passenger, so would prefer the familiarity of RHD.

Given that she agreed to let me buy it whilst in the middle of labour on Thursday evening it would be churlish of me to say no !

Will see if I can track down VW Jim.

Nice sunny day today to be cruising the streets of Pensby !
Was nice and sunny, but cold! Timing a wedding jobbie.my missus saod rhd as well! Anyway steering. Beam. Dash cut pedals needed then. Reckon its do able ok red 9 design:-) might be a good idea as that steering, beam, brakes in one

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Wipers and seats as well......

Thanks for the tip on Red 9, checked them out and it all looks lovely and shiny. Nothing like nice new car parts to get the juices flowing !

Anyone got a rhd T2 dash knocking about ?!