65 Westy getting rolling questions

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.
scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

65 Westy getting rolling questions

Post by scholsie »

Hi,

New to the splits having Just bought a 65 westy and I have a few questions regarding getting the van MOT'd and on the road.

The exhaust is missing, can I use a bug exhaust? if so what years ect.

I need a replacement lens for the N/S front light due to a crack, the current ones are U.S spec so is it worth changing them all for UK replacements, or will it be OK with beam deflectors?

Will it require seat belts for the MOT? It's an SO-42 so there are three seats in the rear of the van, I would like to make these usable whilst driving, firstly is this possible? I would prefer to keep them as lap belts so there is no welding to the side of the van to get the three point belt in, is this possible?

When I register is it possible to register it as a camper on the logbook? are there any benefit to registering as a camper?

Where is the best place to get a 6 volt battery?

Lots of random questions, and I wasn't sure what section to post this in.

My aim is to get the van on the road as quickly as possible and get some use out of it before winter sets in. Then save some cash over winter and do some more work done having spent nearly every penny to my name buying it.

Cheers in advance, James

ibiijo

Re: 65 Westy getting rolling questions

Post by ibiijo »

In the same position myself trying to get my 65 EZ camper on the road. On the DVLA form I have entered it as an CZ Camper although originally manufactured as a Panel Van.

I've picked up an empy exhaust at an auto jumble looks like it will fit but as I am still trying to sauce heat exchangers we shall wait and see! I do have the original exhaust box so I may just stick with that and just put some end pipes on. As far as lenses go haven't even thought about that. You don't need seat belts in the back and laps in the front are fine, in fact I'm not even sure you need them in the front, due to its age.

Is that any help?

scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scholsie »

Yeah thats great,

I'm going to buy a bug exhaust local to me off ebay for £10 and see if I can make that fit.

So I can carry passengers legit in the back with no belts? so effectively making it a 5 seater, would I declare this on the V5?

dweeb

Post by dweeb »

Bug exhaust should fit the engine, but the bumper wont fit without making holes for the tailpipes, which is never a good look. You dont need seat belts in the van anywhere, motor caravans as they would have been registered originally didn't need front belts until 66/67

ibiijo

Post by ibiijo »

Re seat belts that's what I thought but I shall keep the lap straps in the front as they are there.

I've put mine down as a four seater just because I don't have a full width rock and roll bed in the back (well I don't have anything in the back at the moment). As for the exhaust certainly don't want to be cutting up my bumper!

scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scholsie »

Good job I missed the bug exhaust on ebay then! I'll keep my eye out in the parts section.

I will make sure I get it registered as a motorcaravan, and put five seats.

Adrian Flux did ask how many seats with belts it had, I will look into it a bit further with them and make sure they are OK insuring it without the belts.

ibiijo

Post by ibiijo »

Best quote I've had is from Heritage, they didn't ask about seat belts. How far from the MOT and registration are you? We Tried a last push to get him done (as in MOTable not finished!) for Volksfest Wales last week but the electrics let us down. Having to check them out this week and the windscreen wiper motor needs looking at. But my tickets for Bus(Van)fest have just arrived so he better be ready! :D

scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scholsie »

I will try heritage for a quote.

It's maybe a month away if all goes to plan, the work that I know of if nothing else pops up is, cargo floor patch near the doors, bottom of LH cargo door, two small repairs to the outer sills on both sides. Which makes it sound more than it is, there is maybe two days work to get it welded and some primer on it.

Then its a case of getting it running and registering, which can be carried out whilst the other work is on going.

Oh and I'm yet to collect the van, it's arriving on Friday but I did have a real good look round so have a good idea of the work required.

ibiijo

Post by ibiijo »

Sounds very similar to mine. Planed on just doing the outriggers and jacking points but decided rather than patch the load bay we would put in a whole floor. Glad we did! Had to replace both inner sills and one of the end cross members for the floor as well as a couple of inches up the side supports. Sounds worse than it was but should be good for another 40+ years now!

Good luck with your MOT and Registering and I'll keep you posted. First past the post can let the other know of any issues with the DVLA.

scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scholsie »

Cheers buddy, good luck with yours too.

Turns out heritage is part of adrian flux, will see if there is any benefit to using either or if they are the same on price.

Whats the deal with rear fog light? Just did a search and it returned nothing so i'm assuming it will not require them for the MOT.

ibiijo

Post by ibiijo »

I noticed that they are brokers but I got two different prices from the same insurance company from them. Adrian Flux came in at £30 more. Not a lot but every little helps!

As far as fogs are concerned no you don't need them, unless they are fitted. So if you have fogs fitted as an after marked accessory they must work. This would apply to seat belts you don't have to have them but if you do they must be fitted correctly.

harryvonstacks

Post by harryvonstacks »

mate , i have a spare light/ lens unit. i cant remember what company i bought it from but is its of some use i let you have it for what i paid for it.....ill look for it today.
hope this helps
PER MARE PER TERRAM. SINCE 1664