Options for all new suspension?

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
dubberdean
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by dubberdean » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Ball joint front beam or king and link pin?

shaggy66bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by shaggy66bus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm

king and link pin?
you can go lower with this set up
RUTLAND HARDCORE CAMPING POSSE 2005/06/07/08
http://www.rulowenough.com

ImageImage

Topic Author
dubberdean
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by dubberdean » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Is anywhere selling the reconditioned parts to go with the IRS set up, or is it just a case of finding some good parts through breakers?

bobley

Post by bobley » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 pm

I say balljoint beam (for the better wheel location, camber adjustability and reduced maintenance), narrowed with drop spindles (to stop the balljoint bottoming out) and Red9Design EZ Rider kit (more linear spring rate , better ride and max potential for matching spring rates) and a pair of good spec double adjustable dampers (for optimisation). Throw in an anti roll bar and pair of modified bump stop and Bobs your uncle. I'm not sure how low that will go, but it wont look bad but it'll let you dial everything in just as you want it..)

Beams and shocks/spring all new. Arms and spindles refurbed with new bearings?

If you go Porsche IRS you'll also get a good lowered rear with good ride and lots of adjustability (assuming you use the 944 torsion tubre and springplates?). You should be able to go coilvers on the back too?

Fuchs Lee

Post by Fuchs Lee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 pm

dubberdean wrote:
Fuchs Lee wrote:Boxwagen do a bolt on IRS kit. It's what I have on my bus along with the bay window a-arm and hubs. I'll let you know how it rides in about a month. I've used it because I didn;t want to muck about with cutting the chassis and if I want to go back to stock I can.

Up front I'm using a boxwagen 4" beam as the bushes are top quality with dropped spindles and csp discs.
Do Boxwagen have a website as yet?
Coming Very Soon apparently. :lol:

you could always email him for specs/pics/prices.the pictures I have don;t show the attachments. so can't help there. And it's not lowered yet either.

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Im doing my bus at the mo

i have gone for the bus boys irs kit with adjustable spring plates, type 3 rear brakes and up front im using my standard king and link pin beam with dropped spindels and csp disc brakes. Got hold of an AH code gearbox second hand aswell as some a arms, hope this helps :D

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Minor word of warning if you go with CE adjustable rear spring plates and you run stock 14" wheels, the adjuster on the spring plate just catches the inside side wall of the tyre. You can grind it back by a couple of mm. I fitted 4.5 x15
SA Sprintstars and got 1" clearance. I think CE designed their kit for after market wheels. I used all CE IRS bits and am well happy now changed the wheels.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

Topic Author
dubberdean
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by dubberdean » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Will be going for 15" alloys i'm sure, as prefer the bigger disc brake kits.

There's just so many options available, even for a narrowed front beam for example; what made you choose the option you went for? Price? Availability?

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 am

I just liked the CE stuff I guess. I kept a stock width beam with CE adjusters tho' 'cos I don't like the way they handle with a narrowed beam when I'm belting down them country lanes :D I also went with CE 'cos I wanted to use all new stuff. CSP brakes up front are great but took about 500 miles to bed in! I gotta say tho' the handling with IRS is fantastic.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.