My van destroyed by Fire on way to Action

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

silversteve
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by silversteve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:08 am

I know how you are feeling mate, it happened to me about 3yrs ago going to action. Its scary. the missus still doesnt like to get in the van. I fitted a fuel cut of switch linked to the ignition, at least that way the contents of the tank wont empty.

feel for ya dude.

Steve

Doris Big Jugs

Post by Doris Big Jugs » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:12 am

silversteve wrote:I know how you are feeling mate, it happened to me about 3yrs ago going to action. Its scary. the missus still doesnt like to get in the van. I fitted a fuel cut of switch linked to the ignition, at least that way the contents of the tank wont empty.

feel for ya dude.

Steve
That sounds like a neat idea, could you give some more details maybe on the tech section :D
Matt & Jen SBS UK #10

SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by SAMBA VAN MAN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:15 am

Totaly gutted for you mate :( Im glad you and the family got out ok vdubs can be replaced but family members can't :wink: I carry a 2kilo extinguisher in my Punto just incase i ever see anyone in trouble on the way to shows! :D
Never stand on the toes of someone today, Who's A$$ you could be kissin tomorrow.

Paul

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:28 am

gutted for you a bet it still hasn't sunk in i noticed you don't post much and it seems sad when you do it has to be bad with news

Reggie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Reggie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:58 am

Hell so sorry for you what can anyone say

chin up mate
NOT JUST A WAY OF LIFE lovol

1960 Westy SO 23 :-)
1968 Titan red Deluxe Bay
1968 Beetle

flat930

Post by flat930 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Just want to echo all the sentiments on here and offer my commiserations. I had a close call this summer after leaving the van for a 3-4 hour walk we returned to the campsite and literally 2 minutes later a friend sitting near the rear saw flames through the engine vents. I always carry a hand held extinguisher which made short work of the flames (though cleaning up after was not so quick). Turned out that the braided fuel hose I'd recently fitted for an electric fuel pump (luckily not in use at that point) had dropped onto the live battery terminal and slowly warmed up until the rubber burned up and ignited. I shudder to think what might have happened if we'd returned 10 minutes later.......

I now make sure that ALL hoses are fixed properly, there's nothing remotely metallic near the battery and all electric terminals have rubber covers. Anything that looks aged or starting to perish should be replaced too, it's bloody cheap insurance.......

Good luck with getting a replacement.

wolfie53

Post by wolfie53 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:06 pm

Really sorry to hear about your bus. Exactly the same happened to a bus of mine earlier this year on the M3 in Hants (below). Luckily my kids weren't anywhere near, that must have been awful. As everyone has said (and it is stating the bleedin' obvious!) count your blessings - it could have been a lot worse.

Easy to say now, but the lessons learned for me were:

1. check and replace the rear part of the fuel line that exits from the tank and goes to the metal pipe that comes through the tinware. A bugger of a job, but essential.

2. make sure the rubber gromet is fitted around that bit of metal pipe - the metal on metal constant vibrations can literally saw it in half otherwise - the number of busses I've seen without that small but vital part is scary.

3. unleaded fuel burns 4 times hotter than leaded and the bus goes up very quickly so once the fire grabs hold, don't bother trying to mess about with a small fire extinguisher - just get away from the bus sharpish.

Hope you get back on the road with another bus soon mate.

MaHarg

Post by MaHarg » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:01 am

Gutted for you mate...no how your feeling...i lost my splitty to 2 years ago the same way.

Main thing is you and your family are ok.

scrubdupin1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scrubdupin1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:47 am

Totally gutted for you.....glad you all ok

Topic Author
Rock Bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rock Bus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:21 pm

Just wanted to say a big thanks to you all for your responses
It really helps and as most of you have said I realise it could have been much, much worse

Have had some good news since initial posting where despite initially being told we couldnt recover any of the contents under our home insurance apparently we can claim for some of our personal posessions

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the Insce company doesnt mess us around with paying out for the van itself

Will keep you all informed

vwspijlbus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwspijlbus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 pm

gutted for you ...
Frank
Image 1967 SO-42

15 window

Post by 15 window » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:15 pm

:( so sorry for you, and glad your all ok
Never booted out of the SBS and still #12 UK Chapter :lol:
1963 15 Window Deluxe

marmite_on_toast

Post by marmite_on_toast » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Not a nice thing to happen. Sorry to hear this.

Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:10 pm

Its sad news buddy, Its upsetting every time you read about these awfull stories. I hope its getting through to people and we dont see too many of you getting into these life threatening incidents :cry: :cry: