irs problems with parts

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
pickle

irs problems with parts

Post by pickle » Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 am

ok ok i know everyone proberbly asks but i've got a half done irs as in i've got the gearbox and hub but no brakes or backing plate what can i do so my van gets on the road before the next millenium? I need to run wide 5 pattern as i've fitted the csp front disks already.

any help would be great
cheers

radish

Post by radish » Wed May 24, 2006 12:28 pm

do you have late bay hub carriers? if so you can get split rear drums and back plates machined so you can keep wide 5. i got mine from boxwagen top bloke adrian. i would highly recommend

delux 67
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: irs problems with parts

Post by delux 67 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:50 pm

pickle wrote:ok ok i know everyone proberbly asks but i've got a half done irs as in i've got the gearbox and hub but no brakes or backing plate what can i do so my van gets on the road before the next millenium? I need to run wide 5 pattern as i've fitted the csp front disks already.

any help would be great
cheers
i used late bay backing plates,hub carriers,shafts. creative drums are wide five and slide straight onto late bay shafts and gsf stock the split brake pads and wheel cylinders.

hope that helps

bri

orb

Post by orb » Wed May 24, 2006 3:20 pm

I also have the late bay backplates and Creative wide five drums in conjunction with CSP at the front - stops on a dime (make sure you use a bay disc/drum master cylinder) - easy to fit, you just need to make a small cut in the shoes to clear the handbrake mech but it's all in the instructions.

Orb

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Wed May 24, 2006 10:08 pm

pickle wrote:ok ok i know everyone proberbly asks but i've got a half done irs as in i've got the gearbox and hub but no brakes or backing plate what can i do so my van gets on the road before the next millenium? I need to run wide 5 pattern as i've fitted the csp front disks already.

any help would be great
cheers
You've not said what IRS parts you've used? T1/T3 or T2?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

orb

Post by orb » Thu May 25, 2006 8:34 am

cheers[/quote]

You've not said what IRS parts you've used? T1/T3 or T2?[/quote]

Ahhh the voice of reason :D - hadn't thought of that, of course it'll make a difference...

Topic Author
pickle

Post by pickle » Thu May 25, 2006 10:14 am

vwjim wrote:
You've not said what IRS parts you've used? T1/T3 or T2?
ahhhhhhh well i have not used any parts as the bus came with some very odd rear end brakes apparently of a rover 800.................
yes odd to say the least, thanks saun at sunny buses. all i have at the back is a type 2 hub connected to me creative spring plate. theres nothing else back there. dave at mega bug told me the part number i gave him is for a 68-70 hub of a bay. if i need to i would replace the hubs for anything that would let me run wide 5 wheels.

OxonPhil
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OxonPhil » Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 pm

Mine is having the IRS treatment as we speak.........

I'm using T1 parts.....

T1 Gearbox
T1 Backing plates
T1 Late FRONT wheel cylinder
T1 Late shoes
Wide 5 drum from Machine 7 (designed to fit onto late Beetle to make it look early)
T1 A-Arms
T1 Rear shocks

The only 'special' needed was different length drive shafts, which I purchased from CA.

The nice thing here, is that all parts are standard VW.

Hope this helps,

Phil.

teledial65
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by teledial65 » Sun May 28, 2006 2:16 pm

Trev, if the stub axle is a 68 - 70 T2 one then you can fit late split wide 5 drums on the back with no problems at all

Biscuit

Post by Biscuit » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just been reading this post and I have a similar issue as the Stub axles I've got are the late bay shorter ones, but I need to run wide 5 to match the front. I have the early bay back plates and hub carrier so with the new drums I think I just need to find someone to machine down the front snout of the drum to enable the castle nut to go on???

Or can I swap the stub axle to the longer early bay one and then use stand wide 5 drum?

Any assistance would be helpful so I can get my rear end sorted!

Thanks