New Member Introduction +++ guidance required

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
Gavinskii
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

New Member Introduction +++ guidance required

Post by Gavinskii » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:39 pm

Just wanted to say hi to all SSVC members and share some personal news.

Today, after several months and much heartache and worry, I finally took delivery of 2 splittys I bought in unseen from the West Coast USA. This, combined with my first ever drive in any splitty - made for a truly awesome day!!

I had pre- booked myself to join the Brighton Breeze run next Saturday, in the hope that "my ship would come in" on time. Phew - a bit close - but now have the difficult decision of knowing which vehicle to prepare and bring down? A great condition crew cab or slightly ropey Westy which needs a couple of overiders cutting out and welding back...? I think my mind is pretty well made up.

In the meantime could one of you knowledgeable types tell me if I can legally drive them on the UK roads providing they are insured even though they are not UK registered or MOT'd yet - both have valid US numberplates displayed ? Are there any time constraints for getting UK registered?

Next question is centered on spares...at Brighton Breeze will individuals and traders have bits and pieces for sale? I am in need of some bits for the '67 Westy - a double door exterior handle + NSF windscreen + sliding window locks and an elephants ear side mirror + a new set of window seals. I know all these bits are available at a price, brand new, but would prefer clean secondhand bits so as not to show up other older fittings!

Any help on the above greatfully received - I will try and post some pictures tomorrow and hope to see many of you next weekend. I can't wait

:blob3:

niggy
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by niggy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:50 pm

brighton has a good amount of traders on the front,but I think the items you need would be best sourced from a differant venue,depending on where you live there are shows up to the winter months,after that then dubfreeze will be the place where you could get the bits you need

woody

Post by woody » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:53 pm

welcome :wink:

katastrophenschutzwagen

Post by katastrophenschutzwagen » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:54 pm

hi gavinski
just importing a crewie meself and hoping to nip down to brighton.perhaps we could get together and compare?????
not sure about the registration bit though so i'm gonna wing it on the export plates

littlebluevw

Post by littlebluevw » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:35 pm

welcome

:D :lol:
what nut ? this nut ? which nut ? that nut ! oh.

shaggy66bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by shaggy66bus » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:58 pm

hello and welcome :D :D :D
RUTLAND HARDCORE CAMPING POSSE 2005/06/07/08
http://www.rulowenough.com

ImageImage

kevsplitty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by kevsplitty » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:04 pm

Hi & welcome mate :wink:
ImageImageImage

Dont walk take the bus!
Rutland Hardcore Posse 07/08/09 Zig2
Corton Hardcore camping posse 2006!

Topic Author
Gavinskii
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Gavinskii » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:17 pm

paulbugman wrote:hi welcome
i live just up the road from you in leatherhead ,have to met up at some point
paul
Are you heading down for Brighton Breeze? If so what will you be driving so I can look out for you?

I will be in me White & Green Double Cab and can't wait!

Topic Author
Gavinskii
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Gavinskii » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:21 pm

katastrophenshutzwagens wrote:hi gavinski
just importing a crewie meself and hoping to nip down to brighton.perhaps we could get together and compare?????
not sure about the registration bit though so i'm gonna wing it on the export plates
Me too, I only got the US registration papers back from the freight company today and as the DC is certified road legal in the US till May 06 and fully insured here I will also be on US plates.

wilgartw

Post by wilgartw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:30 pm

you are (as a uk citizen) not legally allowed to drive on foreign plates. You are only legally allowed to drive to and from a pre-booked MOT appointment.

being insured you will normally get away with it if you get pulled by the police. it is normally not worth the paperwork on a foreign vehicle. got stopped leaving glastonbury last year on US plates. they were stopping every x car. as soon as they clocked the registration plate (was only displaying the one on the back, i had no MOT, my lights weren't working etc) they just waved me on.

however if you do have a crash, your insurance company will not pay out, in fact you are likely to be held personally liable for all damages which could run into 1000's

don't wish to put a downer on you, it took me 16 weeks to get registered, and i drove over 2000 miles in that time. it is just a large risk to take.
59 kombi

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those don't.

wilgartw

Post by wilgartw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:32 pm

from dvla

"IMPORTING A VEHICLE
A vehicle which is permanently imported for use in Great Britain must be registered and licensed as soon as possible after it arrives in this country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed. However, if the vehicle needs to have an SVA (see section A "Type Approval") or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place. Application for registration should be made to your nearest DVLA Local Office.
"
59 kombi

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those don't.