What engine bay fire system have you got?

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

e m p i

Re: What engine bay fire system have you got?

Post by e m p i » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:31 pm

I have a blaze cut and also a firetec in my engine bay plus I carry a hand held in the cab plus another in the cargo area, both of which are Halon (ssh, I know....). When we go camping I also have another hand held halon that is kept in the awning plus a battery operated fire alarm in both the bus and the awning and a fire blanket. I also keep a seatbelt cutter in my door pocket as Little E is in a booster seat next to me and the belt clip is a bit of a nightmare to get to and I’m in a harness. Maybe I’m slightly paranoid but I’d rather have all this stuff and it never gets used than not have it when I need it.
I’d be absolutely gutted if my bus went up and I couldn’t save it but for me the main thing is that all the stuff I’ve got could buy me an extra minute to get my family out. I’ve been to a few car fires and the speed and ferocity they go up with has to be seen to be believed.

Jim, I’ve got the Firetec that you did as a group buy years ago, I think it’s foam and it’s maintenance free, is that correct or should I take it out and give it a shake?

Ps. If I get another 2 minutes of time because of all my fire stuff I might have a go at unbolting my Bug Tech shifter and saving that as well :lol:
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

russvw66

Post by russvw66 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:08 pm

HI I want to fit a cut off fuel solenoid as part of the fire protection set up . And to fit it next to the fuel tank outlet ,link
it with the electric faucet fuel pump in the engine bay,so i can switch off both in the event of a problem.
Fit a foam fire tec system and check it every month or when i am checking the engine oil level for piece of mind

anyone know who supplies the fuel solenoid cutoff valves

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 pm

^^^^ Peter Shaw at Aircooled VW works is your man.

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 pm

This is not meant to be a silly question, but did buses have this problem back in the day before buses got popular...
It seems to be more prevelant today and wondered why......lack of proper air or oil filter, bigger engines, less proper maintenance, .... fuel lines......what...?
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 am

Probably a culmination of all of those Ron.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Ethanol in fuel degrading the rubber probably the main culprit. It’s across all classic cars.

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am

Just out of interest what systems do people use in their beetles? Obviously no roof as such for the firetech like I have in the bus courtesy of Jim :wink:

Have replaced all the hoses twice over in the past few years now with the best I can find including the solid pipework that runs through the car. There's a big but though like the ethenol eating through the stock fuel pump and carburettor seals :(

Buzzers

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Run on super unleaded - it’s lower in ethanol than standard. Alternatively you can add an additive which helps combat the ethanol, but it’s more expensive than super unleaded.

There’s also a website if you google it which lists garages which sell ethanol free fuel, although the eejits at my local Texaco hadn’t a clue when I asked them, even though they’re on the website.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:29 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Ethanol in fuel degrading the rubber probably the main culprit. It’s across all classic cars.
If you use Esso super supreme unleaded or whatever their expensive one is called it contains zero ethanol.
Unless you live on Devon, Cornwall, Scotland and the NE
The next best one is Texaco super duper unleaded or whatever they call their top one as that will contain not more than 5% ethanol (again except in the places above) whereas all the others contain up to 10%
I have seen correspondence from both Esso and Texaco on a motorbike forum (think it was an Aprillia owners forum but can’t remember) which confirms the above.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:37 am

Good knowledge - you truly are a god !