agm viccy frm

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
airkooled72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

agm viccy frm

Post by airkooled72 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:29 pm

left late Sunday rather than stay as usual and go Monday but I digress ,transport museum Coventry was brilliant ,weather awesome, Stanford hall good ,as usual, cruise to Stanford hall ???????????????? we were pedal to the metal all the way from viccy farm to the lutterworth turn off just to catch up .where is the gentle cruise as per 3-4 years ago where everybody just took their time, used to look in front and there was 50 buses and in your rear view mirror another 50 why has everybody gotta burst a gut to get in front ? thanks to all the committee for your time and effort

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: agm viccy frm

Post by vwJim » Mon May 07, 2018 6:05 am

If you're near the front, convoys are always a slow cruise, if you're nearer the back they're always faster as you catch up the gaps caused by roundabouts.

Carl would of been cruising at the same speed as other years up front.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Terry
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Terry » Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

I know lead was told to do no more that 35 miles per hour but if convoy drove so that each vehicle could always see one behind then gaps would not occur even taking into consideration roundabouts etc as one in front (not talking about lead vehicle but those much further back) would slow until they could see the following vehicle. Make the vehicle behind you your responsibility then all would remain together.
[color=#800080]Just for the record YES I am female and YES Terry is my real name!![/color]

Fighting Motor Neurone Disease
http://www.mndassociation.org

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Mon May 07, 2018 8:43 pm

3rd gear for me due to tall gearbox and it popping and banged most of the journey ( bloody carbs) felt sorry for the guy that got between me and you Jim with his safaris open. :oops:

Lovely chilled weekend guys. Got home in two hours even on the M6 :wink:

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie » Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 am

The lead van in the convoy was only doing 30-35 and at times dropped to 20 mph. We were about halfway in the convoy and our problem was other traffic, by the time we reached the third roundabout we had at least 4 'normal' cars between us and the van in front and at least 2 or 3 behind. It's hard to go even slower when you're being shoved along in a queue of modern traffic. I don't think there's an easy answer, we are on public roads and can't cause too much chaos, it's just down to luck on the day if you manage to stay in a big splitty clump or not. Generally though I thought there was a lot of traffic about this weekend. Must have been the weather....
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm

We were relatively near the front of the convoy - prob about 30-40 vans in - we trundled along quite nicely - I agree the further back you are the more catching up your doing all the time filling up gaps....

What was the Convoy count? - it must have been close to a the record surely - I've never seen the field so full at Viccy Farm

1960beetle

Post by 1960beetle » Tue May 08, 2018 5:25 pm

I think it was around 167 ?

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Terry wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am
I know lead was told to do no more that 35 miles per hour but if convoy drove so that each vehicle could always see one behind then gaps would not occur even taking into consideration roundabouts etc as one in front (not talking about lead vehicle but those much further back) would slow until they could see the following vehicle. Make the vehicle behind you your responsibility then all would remain together.
Totally agree with the above. When I had the honour to lead the convoy I kept to 20 - 25mph all the way, needless to say we all arrived together, 35mph is whey to fast.

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

friedgreedo

Post by friedgreedo » Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 am

1st year that I felt the cruise was really disjointed. Even driving out of Vic Farm (through the yard) seemed to be a rush. By the time we merged onto the A5, the buses up ahead were off in the distance. I tried to balance between catching up and staying in touch with the vans behind me. Not sure what was different this time.

I was the poor sod who ended up behind Buzzers popping exhaust!!

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 pm

friedgreedo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 am
1st year that I felt the cruise was really disjointed. Even driving out of Vic Farm (through the yard) seemed to be a rush. By the time we merged onto the A5, the buses up ahead were off in the distance. I tried to balance between catching up and staying in touch with the vans behind me. Not sure what was different this time.

I was the poor sod who ended up behind Buzzers popping exhaust!!

Sorry bloody nightmare been like this since the rebuild