Full electric conversions.....

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

W-W
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Full electric conversions.....

Post by W-W » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 pm

There is a firm converting street light access panels to charging ports, for street with no driveway parking. The cabling is already there.

62 Double Door

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm

This is what I mean. As an example, this is where my sister lives, a couple of miles from where I grew up. This is typical of a lot of back streets in towns and cities. This is a streetview image, so was taken in the middle of the day when most of the residents would have been at work. Of an evening it's rammed.

Streetlights are 'shared' between several houses. You couldn't safely run several charging cable down the gutter from street lights and short of laying in a cable duct that would have to be a minimum safety depth, there's no way you could safely get from the house to a car with a charging cable.

Aside from the danger to the public, some w***ker would unplug it (and they live in a nice area).
Capture.JPG
And again, I'm not against electric cars. I'd have one,if I could afford one with the range of that Tesla, but I have a driveway and I'm pretty sure the company I work for would allow chargers to be installed. We have national charging station providers among our customer base. Most (?) people aren't that fortunate.

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Who.Me? wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm
This is what I mean. As an example, this is where my sister lives, a couple of miles from where I grew up. This is typical of a lot of back streets in towns and cities. This is a streetview image, so was taken in the middle of the day when most of the residents would have been at work. Of an evening it's rammed.
This is without doubt one of the challenges and while I've used plenty of on street charging with a cable trailing across the ground I don't think this will be deployed widely in future. As range increases and charge times decrease I think many people will use "petrol stations" just like today... the only difference will be they'll fill up with electrons instead of hydrocarbons 8) I can also see a roll for wireless charging and it's easy to imagine a scenario where it would be profitable to dig up streets if the installer was selling electricity to the grid for load balancing using "Vehicle To Grid" technology.

Here's a 2012 video from Robert Llewellyn on wireless charging... it's rather dated but still fun :D

https://youtu.be/b71wC4z8its

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

W-W wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 pm
There is a firm converting street light access panels to charging ports, for street with no driveway parking.
Ubitricity are one of the largest players in this market.
W-W wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 pm
The cabling is already there.
Unfortunately most street lights in the UK are wired in a daisy chain and have very limited power available... not surprising given they were intended for powering a string of lightbulbs.

thebouncingbunny

Post by thebouncingbunny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Anyway I'm a window cleaner a drive about 10 to 15 miles a day so an elecric van would be just the ticket for me.if you feel the need to have someone use your conversion as a test I'll oblige.....
i do know someone with one of the Nissan van things and he is a very car jaded mot garage owner and it's the first time in years ive heard him enthuse about anything automotive .aparently the one Nissan lent him to try would happily lay down rubber.
ImageImage

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am

thebouncingbunny wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:38 pm
aparently the one Nissan lent him to try would happily lay down rubber.
Yeh, electric drive is impressive :)

Nissan breaks ‘electric van towing record’ by moving a house with new e-NV200 all-electric van

426205643_margot_robbie_takes_the_wheel_for_new_nissan_sustainability_projects_at-e1507167327168.jpg

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:38 am

Classic Jaguar's get a 21st Century upgrade without any body or chassis modification 8)

https://youtu.be/610Amyhpzzk

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 am

Researchers calculated the total lifecycle emissions of an electric car, including its manufacture, battery manufacture, and all of its energy consumption...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-finds

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Lots of progress with wireless charging that can be used at home, on the street, or even at high speed on the motorway 8)

https://youtu.be/2t0E4AcVu6o

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Shell start rolling out electric car rapid chargers at 'petrol stations' 8)

https://youtu.be/nst2RGtgzfk

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm
In the not too distant we’ll be checking the price per KW on the forecourt, in the same way we do petrol & diesel.

thebouncingbunny

Post by thebouncingbunny » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am
Kevin Sharpe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm
In the not too distant we’ll be checking the price per KW on the forecourt, in the same way we do petrol & diesel.
Yeah and it'll be blooming expensive cos there's not a hope in hell they will be able to generate enough electric for ten million cars.
ImageImage

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

thebouncingbunny wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm
Yeah and it'll be blooming expensive cos there's not a hope in hell they will be able to generate enough electric for ten million cars.
It's worth reading the facts as published by National Grid;

"Factcheck: How much power will UK electric vehicles need?"

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am
We will... but the great unknown is the impact of wind and solar on electricity prices in the UK... what we do know is that Germany will soon have free wholesale electricity for 4 hours a day :cheers:

A peer reviewed paper on this subject was published in Nature in 2014 (here)

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm

I would recommend this video for anyone who is tempted to believe the Daily Fail :roll:

https://youtu.be/ELyGrIQTqjw