BRAND NEW Sambas & Barndoors

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
nige1171
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

BRAND NEW Sambas & Barndoors

Post by nige1171 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

Interesting thread over on thesamba.com

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Thread started by this guy...
samba kombis wrote:Hi everyone,
I am an entrepreneur originally Welsh, Australian/American resident since 50's. I am a semi retired former British radio dj in Australia and US, I still broadcast news items in those countries and Canada-NZ sometimes. I am also a foreign correspondent and entrepreneur, my bio is
at paul martin entrepreneur google those 4 words on browser gets to me if anyone is interested.

I have collected classics since the 60's when I lived in LA and owned many VW's among them including 23 and 21 Sambas which at the time of course were going for a song compared to today's unbelievable $ !

I presently live in Japan and have decided to embark on a seemingly impossible venture just for the hell of it and the challenge, I spoke to Gershon about this 2 days ago and he, at length pointed out the
extreme difficulties in building not a restoration but new Sambas from scratch. He correctly advised of the tremedous cost of jigs, multi welds and many other points also. But being a stubborn sort I still want to at least give it a crack. I also contacted VW in Hanover at HQ and presently am preparing to build the first Samba as a new vehicle from the ground up. I know it's a BIG risk and I am NOT in it just for the $ but IF I succeed in producing a NEW Samba with the correct specs I would appreciate your inputs about selling it and what kind of response you think I would receive from Samba lovers.

I am willing to invest the $ and time and if the interest is there I will make more !

And perhaps more interesting than that was Gerson's reply (owner of KlassicFab repair panels business):
Gerson wrote:Paul I remember speaking with you a few months back....I also remember explaining to you how difficult of an endeavor it would be to bring a repro split bus to market.....we have been working towards this goal for the last 13 years.....those who know me personally, and those who have been on this site for the last 10 years have seen the slow, steady progress we have been making towards this goal......there are pictures on this site of the 8 or so buses we have built practically from scratch, the last one being the 54 RHD Kombi from New Zealand.

I no longer post on this site, but I do read what is posted on here from time to time. I was speaking with my New Zealand distributor yesterday and he suggested I come on and read up on this thread.... We continue to work towards a Kit Built Barndoor Deluxe, Standard, Kombi, Panel and S/C, we are now about a year to two years away from having all the tooling done, like I said, it has taken us a good 10 years to get to where we are at.

A project of this magnitude is a MAJOR technical undertaking, not to mention the 5 to 7 million Dollars we have invested over the last 10 years, all of it self financed, ...., if I had to do it over again, I would not, but.. I am not very bright...there are WAY easier ways of making a living/money....but this sure is fun!!!!

So, to answer Paul's question of whether there is someone who would take this on.....we have taken it on, we have been on this for over 10 years, we are almost ready to bring this product/products to market...we will have a 100% complete shell ready to show to the public soon...maybe at SEMA/THE CLASSIC/HEISSICH OLDENDORF/EBI/VOLKSWORLD....maybe at all these events.......and BTW, this will not be a look alike, these will be 100% authentic looking vehicles, identical to the originals, all have been reversed engineered, using all the latest technology tools available...laser scanners, Catia software,Delcam software, CNC mills, 7axis robots.. etc.etc.

I will keep you posted with the details on price, the legal issues (we have hired several lawyers who are experts with the whole kit car issue)..time frame for orders, deliveries, technical aspects to keep in mind, VINS etc.etc...

We are almost there!!!!:):):):)

Opinions????

Personally I'm interested to see Gerson's bodyshell product when ready but will probably never have the balls or money to build a full bus from one

Nige

My build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69457

8 8US
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: BRAND NEW Sambas & Barndoors

Post by 8 8US » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Wow, this is going to end up as a bun fight, half the people saying great idea and the other half slagging it off, but having seen some of the project builds recently (Irv, Blastingdiepast) then to start with a shell would be a good idea.

Quite fancy a new one, just wonder if BU5 5 BUS or VW54MBA are available from the DVLA........
Richard

1960 Single Cab Pickup “Barny” (resto thread - https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... 8&t=122082)
1966 Devon “Hetty”

1980 Brasilia gone :(

tufty65

Post by tufty65 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:33 pm

I hope this guy has millions to do this as Gersons been doing it for 13 years and still hasn't really offered a full shell to buy.

Great idea if he wants to spend out millions trying but i think the cost of buying one of these finished shells will way exceed just getting one restored from an original, plus I reckon it will take years and years to break even let alone make a profit and he admits he's not that young anymore & he's not in it just for the money but that is obviously a factor ..plus he's got to be at least 65 already...
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/

Sjtw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Sjtw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:42 pm

That sounded like Gerson telling Paul Martin to 'bugger off we got here first' :)
Steve

Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Hongkongphooey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Good idea if you need a very large 'repair panel' 8O , but as for a 'new' bus I cant see VW saying yes to start with, and then if that is approved on a legal side surely it will still be a kit car on a Q plate, unless someone is willing to stump up the money in each country to put it through Type Approval?!

Which then leads on to modern crash testing! Exposed hinges & handles anyone! Crumple zones, airbags, blah blah blah...

I am glad Gerson is doing this as a business as it has provided panels that years ago would not have been possible to buy, similarly with the guys at Autocraft, so between them they are responsible for saving a lot of old buses :D , I just don't thing a 'New' vehicle will happen, well not in the EU anyway.
'60 RHD Devon

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 pm

This is why identities now sell for so much with virtually no savable metal - if Gerson's panels weren't available they wouldn't be savable to such a high standard. Arguably those doing the big BD restos are already more or less kit building anyway ...but they have the original ID and that counts.

The reason it counts is because us Humans are designed to ascribe identities to spatio-temporal continuums rather than just the object. Put simply our brains work on stories rather than objects so it's existence through time is more important than what it is made of now.

In other marques where this sort of behaviour has been much more common for years, they have a much more open discourse about the cutoff between an original car and a q plate. The complexity of building buses from scratch has meant that we haven't had to have this discussion previously. Also our buses were all factory produced. With marques and ages where coach building was the norm there again is much more open discussion around what part was done by whom at what time. An original chassis with a modern replica of a particularly desirable early coachbuilt body can be almost as desirable and valuable as a pure original.

For what it's worth I'd personally rather have a Gerson rebuild from a 50s chassis number than five real 70s splits because the elegance of the early design and ethos of the time is an important part of the story in my head.

ducatis
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ducatis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:59 pm

A barn door Samba might sell, cos they are not there to rebuild!

That said to profit, surely the cost would be too high?

It is a vicious circle, from memory theirs about 125 known BD deluxes worldwide. Not an easy item to buy.......
Remember to like

http://www.facebook.com/vwsambavan

Doing the samba.... (sometimes the panel)

BlastingDiePast
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BlastingDiePast » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 pm

We would just like someone to make complete roof skins, that would save a lot of time and hassle.

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DOUGAL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:00 am

Did Volkswagen not do something similar with the baywindow?
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple
Link to forum post

OLD BUG RACER

Post by OLD BUG RACER » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 am

I hope they do do it , an id with a beyond repair car is useless in my opinion so why not put an exact copy with it like been said before a lot of vans restored that are acceptable have had nearly all body and parts replaced , I'm assuming if you bought the new shell with id abroad you just import it as a restored vehicle ?

currently you can get e type and mgb body shells . i see it as a good thing. Keeps classic car numbers on road up ,

cloudinspector
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by cloudinspector » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Wouldn't touch one even if I had the money. At the end of the day it's a repro and not the real thing which is what it's all about in my opinion.
1956 PANEL
2009 62' tug style narrowboat (home)
http://www.narrowboatmervyn.blogspot.co.uk
talk is cheap but shouting's free