HELP Never mind where's wally, where's the m plate?

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
wantasplit

HELP Never mind where's wally, where's the m plate?

Post by wantasplit » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Help please folks.
Been to see a 67 Australian import Splitscreen that is owned by a lovely couple.
I thought all Splits had an M Plate but I couldn't find one. Can anyone please confirm that Australian VWs had M Plates fitted and where they should be?
It has a 67 chassis plate 'Made in Germany' behind the drivers seat, which is screwed on not riveted, and a hand stamped matching chassis number in the engine bay next to the rear nearside wheelarch.
What's your views people?
Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by wantasplit on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: HELP Never mind where's willy, where's the m plate?

Post by ted698 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am

Later splits - 63 to 67's etc also had a proper aluminium VIN plate riveted on the drivers side of the fresh air box on the roof, by the sun visor on a German made bus.
Dunno if that's the same on a Aus one though.
The M code plate IS screwed using small screws to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat.

See here also... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
This page shows you examples, and what the body stamping numbers should look like.

Topic Author
wantasplit

Post by wantasplit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for the post TED698

That's what's very confusing, it's the aluminium VIN plate which as you say is normally riveted above the driver that is screwed onto the bulkhead behind the drivers seat, where in my opinion the m plate should have been screwed, but I've been known to be wrong, frequently! :D

It's interesting where The Samba archive says the VIN number should be stamped, this is on the opposite side next to the rear nearside wheelarch and appears to have been put on with single number stamps therefore not in a straight line!

Iroc-2
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Iroc-2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Everything should be as ted698 mentioned before, if not be wary, check and double check

airkooled72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by airkooled72 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:34 pm

have been told aussie buses don't an m plate. We have an aussie van and asked a similar question a couple of years ago.it is apparently because they are a ckd van an distributed around the country in crates .somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.all we have is a number and weight plate behind drivers seat

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Its possible, as I'm guessing the M Plate was just used in the factory, so they knew what they were building at the time, as they built so many variants, and we have seen in the vintage factory pics they all went down the line together all jumbled up. Maybe in Aus they were all built exactly the same from a standard CKD kit?

Ideally you need to find a Aus vdub forum maybe?

Topic Author
wantasplit

Post by wantasplit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for the posts folks :D

Bar

Post by Bar » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Yep no m plate on that, vin number will be stamped in engine bay :-)

Sisu

Post by Sisu » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 am

airkooled72 wrote:have been told aussie buses don't an m plate. We have an aussie van and asked a similar question a couple of years ago.it is apparently because they are a ckd van an distributed around the country in crates .somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.all we have is a number and weight plate behind drivers seat
I have understood that this is true. They didn't export the Aussie built VW's to places other than the islands in the pacific so didn't require them.
Unlike German made VW's the CKD and other VW's built outside of Germany you didn't get an individual VW as such. The VW Kombi was sold as a set van, pickup and you chose a colour.
Nothing out of the ordinary just like a modern Audi A4 or A6, walk into a dealer in the UK and you have basically two choices SE or S-line and you can't go below that. While in Germany you can really get a basic no frills car.
The Germans would send out a ship load of shells or main components (CKD) to a factory in Australia/Brazil/Mexico/South Africa etc who would assemble these, paint them using local colours. VW Australia made the van there though and they had a roof press which was one of the biggest in the country at the time and they made some unique evolutionary changes for the conditions such as the engine vents.
Some parts are locally sourced such as the glass and components and you will have 15" wheels.

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:17 am

The 61 is Aussie it has the vin stamped to the right of the enge bay on the upright section below the fuel tank, the vin plate sits here also, in the same location on the left of the engine bay is another stamp which is the Aussie equivalent of an m plate but really only defines if it was a microbus or kombi
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

Topic Author
wantasplit

Post by wantasplit » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Cheers folks :D