Wheeler Dealers?

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

rabbitracinguk

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by rabbitracinguk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 am

readyboy61 wrote:He did a bug and when he checked the engine i rolled on the floor laughing 30 seconds in, no end float :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mS4OTrDFBo
This one looks fine?! That's a massive amount of float, and Ed Spots it, which is why later on in that episode they buy a Recon from JK I believe.

Does anyone have a link to where I can watch this "splitty" episode online? I've tried looking but cannot find it. Wanna see what all the fuss it about.

58and60
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 58and60 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 am

collino72 wrote:my van has two bulbs , no amber part of lens. so am i illegal???
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I believe that if the vehicle was used pre Sept 65 it is ok to have red lights for both indicators and stop etc. After that then it should emit an amber light. I think the wheeler dealer special was registered after this time and thus would need changing.

This is only my dodgy memory talking. However I have a 1960 bus that passsed every time with just the reds on, but with luck someone will come along and know the facts.
58 / 60 / 63 / 64 and a 66
72 Bay Crossover
78 Triple White Karmann Beetle
and Bruce the beach buggy !
http://www.peartreeweddings.co.uk

Member No 8577

Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Hongkongphooey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:41 am

58and60 wrote:
collino72 wrote:my van has two bulbs , no amber part of lens. so am i illegal???
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I believe that if the vehicle was used pre Sept 65 it is ok to have red lights for both indicators and stop etc. After that then it should emit an amber light. I think the wheeler dealer special was registered after this time and thus would need changing.

This is only my dodgy memory talking. However I have a 1960 bus that passsed every time with just the reds on, but with luck someone will come along and know the facts.
All correct as far as I know, red indicators are fine up to end of '65, (But separate bulb, ie not a flashing stop/tail) after that it should be amber for the indicators front & rear. having said that I have used red rear lenses on my '70 bug for years with no mention at various MOT places or being pulled for it.
'60 RHD Devon

TLM2106

Post by TLM2106 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Regarding the red lenses you are correct. Mines a 66 and every year I have to convince my test station that although registered 66 it must have been built in 65 hence the red lenses. With a wry smile he always says something like, ' Oh really!!' :wink:

gingabloke

Post by gingabloke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:34 pm

pokey wrote:Is it just me that cringes every time I hear the word splitty?
There was a time when Split meant a <53 Beetle and Splitty meant <68 Type 2. Mind you, this was a time when both were rare.

That said, I used to have a customer who was almost militant against anyone referring to 68-79 Type 2s as Bay Windows. He wasn't afraid of pointing out to anyone who made this 'mistake' that the correct term was Clipper. This is despite Clipper being a short-lived marketing name that Pan-Am already owned. Hey-ho...

Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Eternal Optimist » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I thought Clipper was the name given to the Deluxe bays?

Choc
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Choc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:52 am

Eternal Optimist wrote:I thought Clipper was the name given to the Deluxe bays?
Clipper, a late mk1 Golf Convertible, carb (not fuel injection).

collino72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by collino72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Hongkongphooey wrote:
58and60 wrote:

All correct as far as I know, red indicators are fine up to end of '65, (But separate bulb, ie not a flashing stop/tail) after that it should be amber for the indicators front & rear. having said that I have used red rear lenses on my '70 bug for years with no mention at various MOT places or being pulled for it.
Thanks so much for info guys, mine early 65 so all good :)

wizard 1066

Post by wizard 1066 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:36 pm

He's done it again, Mike Brewer buys a nice splitty in Brasil for only £7500, gets it checked out and changes the plate, then sels it on for a good profit, we thought he would have been better shipping it back to the UK to make more money, but if theses busses are this good, maybe he did a good deal by getting the best he could and doing no work on it, not this lucky in the UK.

Dr Grub
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dr Grub » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 pm

I think that there was quite a lot of "artistic licence" with the pricing of that bus in the usual Mike Brewer television style.

Glad he managed to drop the word "splitty" from his vocabulary, he just replaced it with "combi" on this program and still referred to the side loading doors as "Barn doors". He was stood in a showroom looking at a real barn door van surely it must have twigged by then!

Dr G. :roll:
1967 SO42 Split Bus "Morrison" - Arizona

Suspension up in the clouds and proud