Wheeler Dealers?

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

rabbitracinguk
Registered user
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:58 am

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by rabbitracinguk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 am

readyboy61 wrote:He did a bug and when he checked the engine i rolled on the floor laughing 30 seconds in, no end float :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mS4OTrDFBo
This one looks fine?! That's a massive amount of float, and Ed Spots it, which is why later on in that episode they buy a Recon from JK I believe.

Does anyone have a link to where I can watch this "splitty" episode online? I've tried looking but cannot find it. Wanna see what all the fuss it about.

User avatar

58and60
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am
Location: Towcester
Contact:

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by 58and60 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 am

collino72 wrote:my van has two bulbs , no amber part of lens. so am i illegal???
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I believe that if the vehicle was used pre Sept 65 it is ok to have red lights for both indicators and stop etc. After that then it should emit an amber light. I think the wheeler dealer special was registered after this time and thus would need changing.

This is only my dodgy memory talking. However I have a 1960 bus that passsed every time with just the reds on, but with luck someone will come along and know the facts.
58 / 60 / 63 / 64 and a 66
72 Bay Crossover
78 Triple White Karmann Beetle
and Bruce the beach buggy !
http://www.peartreeweddings.co.uk

Member No 8577

User avatar

Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by Hongkongphooey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:41 am

58and60 wrote:
collino72 wrote:my van has two bulbs , no amber part of lens. so am i illegal???
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I believe that if the vehicle was used pre Sept 65 it is ok to have red lights for both indicators and stop etc. After that then it should emit an amber light. I think the wheeler dealer special was registered after this time and thus would need changing.

This is only my dodgy memory talking. However I have a 1960 bus that passsed every time with just the reds on, but with luck someone will come along and know the facts.
All correct as far as I know, red indicators are fine up to end of '65, (But separate bulb, ie not a flashing stop/tail) after that it should be amber for the indicators front & rear. having said that I have used red rear lenses on my '70 bug for years with no mention at various MOT places or being pulled for it.
'60 RHD Devon


TLM2106
Registered user
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: New Romney, Kent

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by TLM2106 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Regarding the red lenses you are correct. Mines a 66 and every year I have to convince my test station that although registered 66 it must have been built in 65 hence the red lenses. With a wry smile he always says something like, ' Oh really!!' :wink:

User avatar

gingabloke
Registered user
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:39 am
Location: a very deep rut
Contact:

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by gingabloke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:34 pm

pokey wrote:Is it just me that cringes every time I hear the word splitty?
There was a time when Split meant a <53 Beetle and Splitty meant <68 Type 2. Mind you, this was a time when both were rare.

That said, I used to have a customer who was almost militant against anyone referring to 68-79 Type 2s as Bay Windows. He wasn't afraid of pointing out to anyone who made this 'mistake' that the correct term was Clipper. This is despite Clipper being a short-lived marketing name that Pan-Am already owned. Hey-ho...

User avatar

Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 11:50 am
Location: West Berks

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by Eternal Optimist » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I thought Clipper was the name given to the Deluxe bays?

User avatar

Choc
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by Choc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:52 am

Eternal Optimist wrote:I thought Clipper was the name given to the Deluxe bays?
Clipper, a late mk1 Golf Convertible, carb (not fuel injection).

User avatar

collino72
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: herts

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by collino72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Hongkongphooey wrote:
58and60 wrote:
collino72 wrote:my van has two bulbs , no amber part of lens. so am i illegal???
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I believe that if the vehicle was used pre Sept 65 it is ok to have red lights for both indicators and stop etc. After that then it should emit an amber light. I think the wheeler dealer special was registered after this time and thus would need changing.

This is only my dodgy memory talking. However I have a 1960 bus that passsed every time with just the reds on, but with luck someone will come along and know the facts.
All correct as far as I know, red indicators are fine up to end of '65, (But separate bulb, ie not a flashing stop/tail) after that it should be amber for the indicators front & rear. having said that I have used red rear lenses on my '70 bug for years with no mention at various MOT places or being pulled for it.
Thanks so much for info guys, mine early 65 so all good :)


wizard 1066
Registered user
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm
Location: Barnsley south yorkshire

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by wizard 1066 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:36 pm

He's done it again, Mike Brewer buys a nice splitty in Brasil for only £7500, gets it checked out and changes the plate, then sels it on for a good profit, we thought he would have been better shipping it back to the UK to make more money, but if theses busses are this good, maybe he did a good deal by getting the best he could and doing no work on it, not this lucky in the UK.

User avatar

Dr Grub
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Sunny Jersey in the Channel Islands

Re: Wheeler Dealers?

Post by Dr Grub » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 pm

I think that there was quite a lot of "artistic licence" with the pricing of that bus in the usual Mike Brewer television style.

Glad he managed to drop the word "splitty" from his vocabulary, he just replaced it with "combi" on this program and still referred to the side loading doors as "Barn doors". He was stood in a showroom looking at a real barn door van surely it must have twigged by then!

Dr G. :roll:
1967 SO42 Split Bus "Morrison" - Arizona

Suspension up in the clouds and proud


Post Reply