Split screen prices

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
dombutler
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Split screen prices

Post by dombutler » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:54 pm

I know prices have been going up for vans, but what is the price or `ballpark figure` you would have to pay for:

1: a restoration project
2: a split that`s roadworthy (mot`d) in average condition.
3: something restored

Is there much difference in value in , say a 55-60 panel or 11 window and 64-67 ones (i mean between earlier and later busses)

...can anyone tell me????

Thanks,

Dom.

-is it sunny where you are???

(luckily, the wife likes vans!!)

marmite_on_toast

Post by marmite_on_toast » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:34 pm

why are you bothered, you own half the population of UK buses..... :D :D :D :D

p.s nice collection :wink:

Topic Author
dombutler
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by dombutler » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:35 am

o.k. well you see I had a conversation with a mate in England. He was saying that he knew someone that sold a 60 panel restoration project for £4000 (!). I could`nt believe that someone would pay that much for something that would need loads of welding etc. I have been out the UK for 2 years now, and I had sold my last bus for £3600 before I left:
It had loads of work done to it,12v, irs`d, lowered with air bags (but not complete),alarm etc. etc.

Now my friend recons that I would get loads for this bus:
It is not as good as it looks as it had a front end smash and the front panel was replaced. It has no sills, outriggers, chassis center section (at the front) and no warm air pipe, so it is rotten underneath. Also has holes in the gutter and the engine lid fell off!! That`s what happens when you park your split for 20 years on a dirt floor with the back end hanging out in the open. If it was a bay I would scrap it, but I can`t bring myself to do that. One day I will fix it (it will have to wait in the queue though!). I don`t beleive that it could be worth over £2000 in the UK, so I want to know what the prices are like. And yes when I have a bus for sale you guys will the first to know... :D :D :D :D

23A
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 23A » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:45 pm

..Dom; your red bus would fetch £6500 easy-one of the larger agents would doubtless ask £8k(!)

...hope the collection is intact/still growing; hope to get out to you sometime........ :wink: 8)
Image Image
http://www.earlyvw.com

..now an agent for Butty's Bits ..

Scotty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Scotty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Dom, I'd say that bus is worth £2k, but then I don't know it as well as you do.

23A
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 23A » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:33 pm

Scotty wrote:Dom, I'd say that bus is worth £2k, but then I don't know it as well as you do.
...Scotty's about right ( as always :wink: ) ..projects STILL aren't fetching TOO much; but a ratty , but roadworthy 60's panel recently fetched £4500 locally.....so, who knows?! 8O
Image Image
http://www.earlyvw.com

..now an agent for Butty's Bits ..

bigbulli
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by bigbulli » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:20 pm

It depends on model year etc. If you can do the work yourself the cheap alternative is to buy a project

There is some crazy examples out there, my mate is thinking of selling his rust free 57 pickup for about £4500, he had people turn it down cos they would rather spend £3500 on a project whioh will no doubt need another £3500 just to weld it up and get it on the road - insane!

You'd probably get £2k for that panel.....