I'm new here but would love to be a part of your community although am from Hungary.
Last year I have started a Lost & Found project of an 1965 splitscreen kastenwagen - with very nice history.
I will put down in detail what I know of this van and how we found it - its a pretty awsome story.
The job is currently being done, but you can find all pics and a short description in chronology since we found it.
T1 transporter ex-kastenwagen (with windows) project.
All the body work is done:
- brand new body units
- welding and 99.9% of the body work finished (lots of work hours)
- paint preparation and anti corrosion treatment done
- Creative Engineering parts: Safari windows, Deluxe Body Trim Kit, Bulkhead double seat, Rock n Roll seat bed, Complete rubber kit KOMBI, VW stainless steel emblem.
- need to purchase 6 side opening windows still (with all accessories)
Over 300 photos available here! (from the lost&found stage to current)http://photobucket.com/splittyresto
I have documented the full resto project with docs and pictures.
I have the 1600cc single port engine, transmission, and all valid papers. All of the original instruments and most of the accessories.
The following are already done:
- front suspension modification 2" narrowed to fit porsche fuchs nicely, servo disc brakes, and a slight lowering only for road confort (no pics of the discs yet - will take some this week)
- rear suspension modification to fit IRS, 80% done. brand new BBT AT code tranny purchased
- overhauled 2000cm CU code type4 engine to match the AT tranny and the IRS for nicer freeway speeds etc.
As a first post let highlight the first and the last pic
This is how we pulled her out of her garage after 9 years...
This is how she looks like now after the body work done: