Wipers won't park

Topic author
StevieJD

Wipers won't park

Postby StevieJD » Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 pm

One for the wiper and electrical gurus. Problem is on my '59 Beetle but I think the same appliers to Splits
When I bought the Beetle, it had been converted to 12 v but was still running a 6v SWF wiper motor. After trying a voltage drop resistor, I decided to replace the wiper motor armature with a 12v version. Now the wipers run a reasonable speed but they won't stop/park when the switch is pushed back in. It's as if they overshoot the park position and continue through another revolution each time. The switch is an original and has the 3 connections, all connected up correctly to the relevant 3 terminals on the motor. Any thoughts on the cause? Switch perhaps? Not sure if they are rated for 6v and can't handle the associated 12v and current.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Wipers won't park

Postby type21f » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Well my take is maybe they are not meant to park...my 65my van I year only ones have a park position..
Earlier ones did not park..
vwed will be along soon he will ask the part number of your motor and tell you..
G
Last edited by type21f on Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic author
StevieJD

Postby StevieJD » Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Even if they don't park, I do expect them to turn off when the switch is pushed back in. At the moment, only way to stop them is to pull the battery +ve. lead. Hence my thoughts are that the switch can't handle the 12v.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: RE: Re: Wipers won't park

Postby type21f » Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm

StevieJD wrote:Even if they don't park, I do expect them to turn off when the switch is pushed back in. At the moment, only way to stop them is to pull the battery +ve. lead. Hence my thoughts are that the switch can't handle the 12v.

Try another switch..

Voltage reduces the issue..
Last edited by type21f on Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Postby vwJim » Wed May 17, 2017 7:02 am

The self park connection is inside the motor, so the switch isn't going to be the problem if the motor is jumping the stop position. Are you testing it with the wipers on the glass? I've seen it before that the old motor is able to jump the park position of no wipers fitted but work correctly with the extra physical resistance of the arms fitted + rubber on the glass.

Test the motor by putting 12v to it without using the switch. And test the switch that there is 12v / 0v at the terminals when the switch is operated.

As a short term solution, disconnect the third cable, so there's no permanent power supply. That way, when you turn off the switch the wiper will stop.
Last edited by vwJim on Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic author
StevieJD

Postby StevieJD » Wed May 17, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm testing it with one wiper arm fitted and the spring force onto the screen it is pretty low. I've just ordered a new set of wiper arms so will try them and see if the extra resistance will stop the overshoot.

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Postby BJ1 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 am

Jim is right about the park switch being inside the housing under a plate at the terminal end. Sometimes the contact spring strip breaks from old age and drops into the rest of the mech. This means the wipers either don't park or keep going when manual switch is off. I did fix this once by making a new contact strip out of old clock spring and the contact from the dead one. Only took about six hours!
Take off the small plate at the end of the motor (2 screws) and peer inside. It might not have a park switch at all.
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

Return to “Technical”