Hey, I'm the proud new owner of EAS 171.
Plans so far as follows, will start new projects thread with photos later:
- Body work = the years have resulted in some bubbles coming through and there's some nasty marks from the old roof racks, also the paint has sunk on the rear wheel arch repair panels, cracked rear valance and so on.
I'm looking for someone who's a pro at bodywork touch up's i.e blending with aged paint. Any recommendations welcome. Was thinking of trying to make contact with John Both-Hudson who did the original paint. Is he still trading?
- Wheels = considering black and polished OG Fuchs. Anyone interested in the OG Empi's? Looking for recommendations on adaptor plates. Would like to keep flexibility to put VW wheels back and also keep the new beam and disc brakes on the front end. At the moment the front is lower than the back and bottoms on the steering box often. Also she's a bit of a handful on the road, the 50 profile tyres on the front tramline. Going to see if I can get 60 profile on the front the same as the back. The extra sidewall I'm hoping will allow enough movement to stop the snaking movement and constant correction when driving. It will also level out the ride height front to back and hopefully stop the bottoming out. Any advice welcome, I'm a bit rusty having had my last 21 window double door stolen about 7yrs back
- Interior = considering original interior cards, seats and headlining based on an earlier bus: http://www.classicvws.com/56deluxe.htm
(to be consistent with the earlier paint). This is a tricky call though as like the paint its not correct for the year, hmmm... also thought about spraying top of the bus OG brown instead of black, hmmm...
- Devon = found some replacements for the missing catches. Am going to strip down all the wood and revarnish to the correct colour. On the look out for the missing overhead table stow and side cupboard. Appears to be 1964 conversion, would also love to find a complete original 1960 version if anyone knows of one.
- Bits = Finding various missing bits, visors, seals, incorrect church key, upgrading lights to halogen conversion bulbs. Wipers not working, rods have come off the back of the motor, does anyone know what clip I need for these and also the easiest way to put back on with the motor arm in the right place?
I'm waiting for an original service manual
Anyway that's it for now, will move this to new thread once I've got some detailed photos to share.