With regret, I have decided to sell my panel van.
Having been featured in the November 2011 issue of Volksworld, my van is quite well known, so I feel I hardly need to post the following information. Being a panel van, any imperfections would be visible but you can see from the photos that it is perfectly straight – it’s the first thing everyone comments on when they see it. The van won trophies in Ireland after the restoration.
The reason I am selling is due to unforeseen changes in my working situation.
Here’s a rundown on the spec:
It’s a super solid Bus with OG metal everywhere. The cargo floors, cab floors etc are all absolutely perfect. Chassis and outriggers, jacking points etc are all as they were when they left the factory, even better in fact as every inch of my Bus was treated to several coats of Waxoyl Underseal. No matter what happens in life, this is not going to rust!
Suspension & Brakes:
• Flipped spindles with brand new king & link pins fitted
• There are T2D Adjustable Coilover Slam Shocks to the front
• Creative Engineering adjustable spring plates to the rear.
• Drum brakes front and rear
• Flexi shoes and slave cylinders on the front and shoes/slave cylinders on the rear
• Brake Servo also fitted.
• Brand new heavy duty battery fitted 2010 and also fitted all new fuel lines and clips to all joints.
Engine and electrics:
A micro giant built 1641cc Twin Port AD Code unit with Twin Weber carbs, Single Quiet Pack exhaust and Pertronix II electronic ignition. The engine has been totally reliable - exactly what you want when you’re planning a trip away but then again it only has approx. 5,000 miles from new so I would expect nothing less. New clutch and release bearing fitted in 2010. Sparks are now 12v with additional charging points for iPhones, iPods, iPads or any device beginning with a non-capitalised ‘i’. 12v cigarette lighter socket also fitted to dash.
The body is all original metal with the exception being the rear arches that were replaced during the resto. No other welding was carried out - none was needed. The Bus left the factory wearing the best ever paint (Dove Blue), so it made for an easy choice for them to lay on many coats of the same. The bumpers and VW emblem were finished in white. As you would expect with such a high end finish, cab doors, cargo doors, rear hatch & engine lid were all replaced.
The entire cargo area has been treated to a full covering of sound deadening matting including the roof, sides, over engine bay etc.
Also 4” acoustic sound deadening foam installed in the cargo area behind side panels. Cargo floor was immaculate and was treated to several coats of Rust Bullet (Rust proofing paint).
A Just Kampers ¾ R&R bed was also installed and there was more seating professionally built along the sides which have been covered with new upholstered cushions.
A storage cabinet was built which now houses the stereo and speakers on the top for easy access. There is no shortage of storage with more storage also underneath R&R bed and also side seating area as well as the shelf at the rear of cargo area.
The same level of detail went into the cab area with the bench seat being upholstered in the same Ivory vinyl with Dove Blue piping and oatmeal lap-belts while on the floor there is oatmeal carpet.
There is an absolutely beautiful ivory coloured Banjo steering wheel with sun and moon horn push and this, together with the period Blaupunkt radio really sets the dash off.
BRM’s 5 x 205’s, 15x5J, 14et, Matt Black with polished lip. Tyres are 165/50/15 at the front and 185/65/15 at the back.
• New Creative Engineering rack & pinion steering rack
• New Creative Engineering Front Safari windows
• JVC head unit (including usb port) on top of the rear cabinet with remote control
• Two speakers on rear cabinet and two under bench seat.
• Discreet iPod/iPhone connection under dash
• Lightly smoked glass cab windows
• Waterproof cover included with sale
• Registered in UK with new metal plates fitted
• Full Service and MOT carried out 15/11/2011
• New window rubber/felt all round
• New engine bay stay
• New wipers
• New speedo cable
• New Oatmeal lap-belts
• New windscreen bottle rubber plunger and piping
• Brakes overhauled and engine tuned at the start of 2012 (drives solid and sweet)
• A small tin of L31 Dove Blue touch up paint remaining from the resto is included
• A ceramic heater which fits into the dash comes with the van
• All locks working correctly from a single key and a spare key is included
• Spare mini church key
• Comprehensive paperwork and receipts for the myriad of new parts purchased to perform the restoration
I have probably missed a fair deal out so please contact me for further details.
As the previous owner put it………this Split Panel Van is now and will always be a Volksworld feature car.
My asking price is £18,500. I’m in no rush to sell - if it doesn’t sell I will put it into storage whilst I am working in Scotland.
I should point out that I may suddenly withdraw the ad, as my VW is advertised for sale elsewhere. The other reason is that whilst my head is telling me (given my work situation) that selling is the sensible thing to do, my head is only slightly more influential than my heart which really doesn't want to sell at all!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via private messaging or email.
Thanks for looking